Front Bumper Moldings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front Bumper Moldings

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
sannethemanny
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front Bumper Moldings

Sup everyone, long time since I been posting on the forums, though I check back and read some of the sick builds now and then. Life gets busy when babies are born I guess.

ANyways: Some jacka$$ decided it was worth it to steal my 20$ fog lights out of my driveway. They must have grabbed on to the lights and yanked on them until the plastic moldings of the bumper broke on each side.

It doesn't look completely terrible, but it does look bad in my opinion. I'm not sure if I should remove the rest of the plastic molding. The plastic piece that is underneath the bumper in the middle was not damaged.

How does the XJ look without any plastic moldings on the front?

Thanks in advance!

(No pic of the broken plastic, but mostly wondering how it'd look without.)

swingin-159-1024x749-.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
cjordan314
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm about to work on the front end of my '99 XJ & was kinda wondering the same thing about the plastic pieces. I need to take the pieces off of the door panels still but the front is still in question.
cjordan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
VintageBlueOval

I personally think it looks pretty bad without the bumper endcaps, and its kind of a pain to deal with on a stock Jeep. If you take them off, it'll look weird with the center valance hanging down and you will probably want to take that off too. The valance has rivets holding it on that need to be drilled out or ground off. Then once its all off, you have to deal with the fender liner flapping around and hitting the tire because the endcaps used to hold it in place. Also, your vacuum canister and lines will be exposed on the passenger side and the bumper itself is probably pretty crusty underneath where the caps used to be. I'd leave it all on, just my .02 worth...

Ted

Daily driver: '00 XJ Limited 4x4 w/ 300k miles and still going strong.
VintageBlueOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
sannethemanny
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBlueOval View Post
I personally think it looks pretty bad without the bumper endcaps, and its kind of a pain to deal with on a stock Jeep. If you take them off, it'll look weird with the center valance hanging down and you will probably want to take that off too. The valance has rivets holding it on that need to be drilled out or ground off. Then once its all off, you have to deal with the fender liner flapping around and hitting the tire because the endcaps used to hold it in place. Also, your vacuum canister and lines will be exposed on the passenger side and the bumper itself is probably pretty crusty underneath where the caps used to be. I'd leave it all on, just my .02 worth...

Ted
I actually was able to find some pics without the caps on the newer xj's and I have to agree it looks pretty ugly in my opinion.

If I cut the bottoms off the endcaps and remove the valance (which actually looks better than stock imo) I can then salvage the driver side.

I bought a passenger side endcap that should have been mailed out lastnight from a "part-out" classified through these forums. (I paid so he better! ) So once that comes I will be cutting that one as well to match.

Here is a picture of how I will be cutting mine. I think I will be using my sawzal with a wood cutting blade, what do you guys think? I have a dremel but never used it much, and never with a cutting wheel.
31jeepsy9.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I trimmed the bottom off mine with a stout and very sharp razor/utility knife preheating with a hair dryer to soften the plastic a bit.

I just wanted to have good control of the blade as you can always shave a bit more off, but you can't put it back on. It also left a very clean finished cut.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.