Front bearing/hub replacement 94 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front bearing/hub replacement 94 Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
fourlow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Front bearing/hub replacement 94 Cherokee

I'm pretty sure I have a bad front bearing on the drivers side. At normal speeds its quiet and I can hear intermittent squeaking, at highway speeds its a whirring/growling type sound.

Unfortunately some of the stickies are dead in the FAQ thread so this is why im making a post about it.

So here are the questions about this job:
Will new hub assembly's fit both sides, or are the left right specific like rotors? What else will I need to purchase along with the new hub assembly's?

What brand should I get, I was just going to go with Timken.

What should I expect from this job? I've replaced bearings and seals in the rear. How does it compare?

JeepersandCreepers Bored out TB
GDI 3 core radiator
Flowkooler Water Pump

Suspension:
RE 3.5" (actual about 4 inches) 6030 SUPER-FLEX, RE1600 Adjustable Track Bar

Wheels/Tires:
Rock Crawler 152 Series, 3.75 Backspacing
31inch BFG MT's
fourlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Virginia John
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just replaced the left front hub on my '01. Soak the bolts good with PB and use a 12 point 13MM. The outer nut will require a big breaker bar or a length of pipe and don't forget to torque it when you replace it. The hub assembly for mine would be for either side. The squeal in mine was made by rust on the seal but you just can't just replace the seal or bearing, what a shame.
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Fishsammich

While you are going to be that far into it, how are the ball joints?? fine time to check and see.

You may need to back track and put your rotors back on to have extra leverage to get the bearing pack out, use whatever you have to, to protect your rotor, clamp on 2 x 4s or what ever.

I have personally torch cut several dozen of these out, not all Jeep, that is for very experienced nut cases to do only!!!!!

The bearing assembly pack are right or left, no difference.

Rotors shouldn't be right or left either unless they are slotted and directional??
Calipers can be right or left, just remember that the piston is on the inside and the bleeder port must be up!!
Fishsammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
need4speedtonka
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just did mine both hub's today....for Timken hubs go to StockWiseAuto.com...........and runnnn to Sears grab a 3/4 breaker bar......lol ,and yes they fit both sides..make sure you got cast or composit rotors type on your cherokee..............you 94 soo i thing is composite, cast rotors came in 1999 .........
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
motoxxxman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlow View Post
What should I expect from this job? I've replaced bearings and seals in the rear. How does it compare?
-remove wheel.
-remove axle nut retainer and axle nut. impact gun works best of course, but people without air tools will stick a large screwdriver in the rotor slots and bump it up against the brake caliper, then use a breaker bar and pipe to crack the nut loose.
-remove entire brake caliper via the two large bolts holding the bracket to the knuckle
-remove rotor
-tap axle shaft with rubber mallet, or put something small against the center and hit that with a normal hammer. the goal is to make sure the axle will actually slide out easily, without damaging the threads in this process
-using 12-point 13mm socket, remove the bolts on the backside of the knuckle that hold the bearing hub in.
-smack the bearing around with a hammer til it works its way out.
-install is reverse, but dont use a hammer to push the new bearing in, just get it in furthest you can and tighten the bolts gradually in sequence to pull it the rest of the way in. oh, and clean as much rust as possible off the knuckle before putting the new bearing in
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
fourlow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Turns out its possibly the rear drive shaft u-joint. I had my mechanic diagnose it before I went all part crazy. Amazingly the front bearings/hub assembly is in pretty good shape, despite being the OEM front 1994.

He's going to check to make sure and then i'll work from there. More then likely it is the u-joint though. I just crawled under there and was dicking around and there's definitely some play and wear.
JeepersandCreepers Bored out TB
GDI 3 core radiator
Flowkooler Water Pump

Suspension:
RE 3.5" (actual about 4 inches) 6030 SUPER-FLEX, RE1600 Adjustable Track Bar

Wheels/Tires:
Rock Crawler 152 Series, 3.75 Backspacing
31inch BFG MT's
fourlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
galiuros

Old string, but maybe you're out there. Do you used loctite putting this back together? I think I see signs of brown loctite on the hub bolt threads. Thx!
galiuros is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.