Front Axle U-Joint clarification/help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front Axle U-Joint clarification/help

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Front Axle U-Joint clarification/help

I am replacing the u-joints on the front axle of my 2000 and just want to clear a few things up. First, according the stock specs sticky, I need 5-297x joints (correct me if I read it wrong). It seems that the 760x joints are supposed to be the same, but stronger. Are these the same size, just different part numbers (I know the 760x is a forged cross and supposedly stronger)? So I could get either 760x or 297x or do I need to make sure they're 297x's?

Second, where does everyone get Spicer U-joints? In the past, rockauto has been recommended, but they don't have the spicer joints listed now. I'd like to get greasable joints if possible.

I found this:
Amazon.com: Spicer 16525.06 Greaseable U-Joint for Front Axle Left or Right: Automotive
Looks like what I'm looking for, but details are a bit lacking, can anyone confirm this?

Or these:
Amazon.com: AlloyUSA 11500 Forged X-Joint For 5-297X And 5-760X U-Joint Replacement: Automotive
Has anyone used AlloyUSA joints, good, bad, or otherwise?

Thanks for all the help!

donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

760's will fit fine and are stronger than the 297's. Unless you're running big tires or plan to run big tires, you would probably be OK with joints from your local NAPA. I bought my 760's from Action Machine for nearly half the Amazon price at: Spicer 5-760X Axle U-joint inside snap ring . I've never used Alloy USA joint and don't know anyone that has - but I'm sure someone will chime in.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Spicers are the highest quality stock joints made. You'll be hard pressed to find another joint that will go 100,000 miles+ like the factory Spicers will. You want the 760x I've run both the AlloyUSA and the Spicers the AllloyUSA ones may be slightly stronger but not by much. For stock shafts either one is fine. If you get the greaseable joints then you'll have to grease them fairly often as the seals don't usually last long or seal as well as the non-greaseable ones that came from the factory. You don't need them to be greaseable at all it's just that people like to have them if they do alot of water crossings or muddy/watery trail riding.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
The Spicers are the highest quality stock joints made. You'll be hard pressed to find another joint that will go 100,000 miles+ like the factory Spicers will. You want the 760x I've run both the AlloyUSA and the Spicers the AllloyUSA ones may be slightly stronger but not by much. For stock shafts either one is fine.

This is a good point - if you can, go with the Spicer's.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the greaseable joints because while I don't go looking for water crossings, there are a lot of mud/water pits where I wheel so water above the axles is quite common. Greasing them often is not a problem. Any comments on the AlloyUSA joints? Or other places to get greaseable spicer joints? I don't see greaseable joints on the site justanotherjpr mentioned.
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Denny's driveshaft is one Quadratech is another. Ironrockoffroad too.
Unread 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help, ended up getting sealed 760's from denny's driveshafts. Now i just hope I don't have too many issues replacing them!
Unread 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check the FAQ/Tech Section there's a few good write ups in there on changing axle u joints that should be helpful.

Tags
spicer , ujoint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.