Freeze Plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Freeze Plug

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
LOT3
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Freeze Plug

Has anyone replaced the rear freeze plug closest to the firewall? I am trying to go through the firewall from the inside to install a steel plug.. any suggetions would be greatly appreciated..

LOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rmart30

i dont think I would try to go thru the firewall.... you can get a rubber expansion plug at most auto parts stores to go in place of the freeze plug and they work quite well..no hammering in , just install and tighten the nut to make it expand. 20 min job if ya already got old freeze plug out.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There was someone on the forum that was using the rubber expansion plugs in the back of the head. They kept blowing out. Wish I could remember the thread. I think they finally pulled the head and put a metal one in.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Rmart30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
There was someone on the forum that was using the rubber expansion plugs in the back of the head. They kept blowing out. Wish I could remember the thread. I think they finally pulled the head and put a metal one in.
I would try one before I pulled a head or tried to cut thru a firewall. I have used many of the expansion plugs over the last 20 years on everything from automotive up to V 12 Detroits and only had one blow out and it was my fault because it was the wrong size.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

They used to make a brass one with a stud and nut in the middle, in various standard sizes. Tighten the nut and it expanded out tightly.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

A few suggestions:

Pull the engine out and do it correctly, unless you have good access to the plug thru the FW.
Use a brass plug, as mentioned previously.
Use a bit of lock-tite around the plug before installing.
Use a large socket that fits just inside the lip of the plug and hammer it home.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
LOT3
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i appreciate the replies... i have put the rubber adjustable plug in ---it keeps blowing out. taking the dash apart probably took as long as it would have taken to pull the engine !#@$@#.. i think i have to try the firewall direction.. unless i have problems with the heater core! i will update as i proceed.. thanks again for all the input.. all suggestions are apprecated
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT3 View Post
Has anyone replaced the rear freeze plug closest to the firewall? I am trying to go through the firewall from the inside to install a steel plug.. any suggetions would be greatly appreciated..

Yep .... Had it on a hoist doing some stuff .... angled the back of the motor enough to get at the block and head, welch/freeze plugs.

Gearbox was out at the time ... remove the fan blades too.

Personally .... I'll be ripping the engine out next time ...

Theres a bunch of writeups around ... gojeep and others.

If one needs doing ... they probably all ( 7 ) do
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Did mine last summer...just went ahead and pulled the engine..some pics can be seen in my build thread....good luck! ha

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
LOT3
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Success! The good news is with 2 people dash removal to the firewall can be less than a hr job! Created a access port to easily access the freeze plug, tried the rubber expandable plug but could not get it to seal properly because of the contour of the head.. went back in with a brass freeze plug and no leaks (so far).
after trial & error arpox 3 hr job
Thank for all the help and advice-
unfortunately no pics – someone stole my camera..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.