Free fix for that crazy ignition problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Free fix for that crazy ignition problem

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Freewheelin1

Free fix for that crazy ignition problem

Key sticky? AC blower Fan, turn signals and other essentials suddenly quit? Won't start? Can't get the key out?
My 2000 4.O automatic Cherokee, wonderfully faithful til now, did this. Checked fuses, neutral safety switch. Removed and lubed key switch after removing access panel and shroud around steering wheel.
Then pried wire side of ignition (on the other side of the column from the key switch) up without even loosening the single Torx screw (cause I didn't have tool) and found shaft connecting key switch and ignition had broken.
Rather than rush out and buy whole ignition assembly (will now get one at junkyard at my leisure) I took broken piece where it slides into the ignition switch on the left side of steering column and slid in the appropriate sized Allen wrench and duct taped it. Then took an elastic band from a dust mask and wrapped it around my new "key" to hold it in the switch. Viola! Works like a champ. Know that you have to have key switch in "on" position to be able to shift gears.

Freewheelin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you mean the ignition switch pin ? Buy a new pin at the auto parts store and install it, or pick up a pin at the junkyard.

#!
neon-pin.jpg

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.