Four wheel drive in reverse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Four wheel drive in reverse?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-31-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
White-Knight

Four wheel drive in reverse?

Hey, got a question for everyone...I was backing out of a friend's driveway that is very snowy/icy and about at the top I got stuck with my tires spinning. So I popped it into four wheel drive, but it didn't work. As soon as I moved the lever I heard this grinding noise and then the lever stopped before it reached the 4HI position and I wasn't able to get it to go into position. So I put it back into 2wd and was able to eventually get out. Once I did, I tried 4wd again when I was in Drive (previously I had been in reverse) and everything worked perfectly. Are you not able to engage the system while moving in reverse? Or maybe I just didn't pull it hard enough, but like I said I tried moving it right after it stopped and it wouldn't budge any further towards 4HI. Any ideas? And also, I know that grinding in the case is bad, but is the Command-Trac pretty stout? I keep hearing mixed opinions on it's durability. Basically I'm just hoping that I didn't mess anything up. I don't think I did since everything worked fine after that, but still, just curious.

Thanks.

'96 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Moss Green, 4.0L HO, automatic transmission and Command-Trac transfer case, Custom 4x4 Tow Hook brackets and hooks, Class III receiver, Blazer 55w Fog Lights). [b]Green Jeep Club Member #17[/b]
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
ageofzeppelin

I used to have that problem to (the grinding, not the reverse but I have a 5 speed, so...) and the hard to shift issue. It hasn't happened since I changed the oil in the t-case, which may or may not be a fluke. From my experience, the t-case should hold up to just a little grinding because mine still works like a charm. It's obviously not something to try and do alot, but I wouldn't sweat the one time.

On a separate note, unless I'm moving I always shift to Neutral before I mess with the t-case.
235's and a few other little things.
ageofzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:32 PM   #3
RedJeepXJ

tcase

I have occasionally had this problem(grinding noise), what type of fluid do you put in there, such as is it the same as the tranny, I think it was dexron mercron 3?

thanks
RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2003, 02:20 AM   #4
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Re: tcase

Quote:
Originally posted by Scs748
I have occasionally had this problem(grinding noise), what type of fluid do you put in there, such as is it the same as the tranny, I think it was dexron mercron 3?
Yes, the transfer case takes ATF dexron III or mercon (Mobil1 synthetic ATF is good too if you want synthetic)

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
williak

It wasn't the direction (forward or reverse), it was the fact that the front end was not turning the same speed as the rear end. Learned that lesson the hard way. Make shure all (ALL) your wheels are turning the same speed or stop them completelly before trying to go into 4wd. Otherwise, grinding will be the least of your wories. My mitake snapped the driveshaft and put it in the oil pan. As for hard pull in, a good oil does help.
williak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
White-Knight

Thanks for your advice guys - I generally only use four wheel drive when I'm going forwards anyways. Oh well, now I'll just make sure to only engage it when I'm going straight forwards. Thanks again.

(Shameless plug - if you know anything about the heating system in a '96 XJ, then check out my other thread if you have the time: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...threadid=28328 )
'96 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Moss Green, 4.0L HO, automatic transmission and Command-Trac transfer case, Custom 4x4 Tow Hook brackets and hooks, Class III receiver, Blazer 55w Fog Lights). [b]Green Jeep Club Member #17[/b]
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.