Found out why my aux fan stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Found out why my aux fan stopped working

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Found out why my aux fan stopped working

96 XJ 4.0 Auto...

Check engine light came on, a/c stopped working. OBDII said Radiator Fan Circuit. I put 12V to said fan and it spun nicely. Checked the relay and fuse per the owner's manual's layout diagram and could not find a problem.

A shop finally tracked the problem down ---- to the other end of the Jeep. Seems one of the cheapo WalMart fog lights I bought to use as backup lights had a direct short in it, which, when it popped the fuse, tripped the CEL because the backup lights are on the same circuit as the aux fan.

The owner's manual, as well as the shop manual he had, show the wrong fuse location in the relay center for the aux. fan. The shop ordered an online wiring diagram and found out that there are at least three variations of the relay centers on 96 XJs. The mechanic replaced the blown fuse and everything worked fine - until he put the Jeep in reverse to back out of the shop, when the fuse blew again and the CEL came back on, etc.

This had him then checking out the back up light circuit and he found the short inside one of the lights.

Once the short was fixed and the fuse replaced, everything is crackerjack again.

So there you go. Mystery solv-ed!

HOWever, I did spot one potential trouble spot-- the wiring loom that goes down the front of the engine on the left side down to the O2 Sensor / CPS area was touching the exhaust manifold, which had melted the plastic loom protector and burned the insulation off one of the wires inside. Good find, now fixed.

96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!

Last edited by CraigAllen; 06-09-2007 at 01:11 PM..
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

think you could tell me where the relay is in your 96? in my manual where it says the fuse is is just an empty slot.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735
think you could tell me where the relay is in your 96? in my manual where it says the fuse is is just an empty slot.
Certainly - Here's a pic of the Relay Center with the incorrect and correct locations marked.

96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks a lot, im going to go check mine out.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.