Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Question - were to mount the shocks for best performance? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Question - were to mount the shocks for best performance?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbrizzle View Post
Axle Side Mount Shock Brackets [06091840] - $24.00

use something like these and mount them even with the bottom of the axel tube and as far out as you can. Like the picture Postaldave posted above , but with these you don't have to angle them, theay are double shear and the shock will rotate on the bolt .

just my .02
I think me and justanthrjpr came to the conclusion that single shear were much more trail-friendly should something go wrong haha

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
96fleXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice pics and shock info! I got my 8.8 ready to get welded up tommrow. Cant wait!

Kinda off topic but ive read that I might need a SYE with the 8.8 because the pumpkin is offset is this true?

I know the 8.8 lifts the jeep about and inch because of the axle tubes but if i take out a leaf of the spring pack and be back around 4 inches ( where I am now) would i still need a SYE ( I dont get any vibes right now BTW)

sorry about being off topic yall!
96fleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Greenmachine,

Silly question.........."single shear"? this is my educational moment...I'm feeling kinda dumb

good question 96fleXJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Fix View Post
"somewhere between really crappy and kind-of-crappy gas mileage."
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
I think me and justanthrjpr came to the conclusion that single shear were much more trail-friendly should something go wrong haha
How's that? single shear you remove the nut off the stud . double shear you remove the bolt that runs thru. the shock bottom bushing ? seems like about the same amount of work, which in both cases is not much?

just my .02

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbrizzle View Post
How's that? single shear you remove the nut off the stud . double shear you remove the bolt that runs thru. the shock bottom bushing ? seems like about the same amount of work, which in both cases is not much?
Well it's been a while since it got brought up but i remember when I was building my D44 we got in this discussion about how he had broken a mount on the trail and the double shear was hard to fix. I elected to keep the original single shear OEM shock mounts.

I will go back in the archives and try to find our exact conversation for everyone's benefit

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #21
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here I found it...it was in my build thread haha:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/g...ml#post7693633

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Greenmachine,

I will be doing my part and recycling the mounts from the 35. Looks easy and cheap. Both up my alley.

Also nice build thread.

Quote:
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Up date.....

OK,

I recycled the D35 mounts. In an effort to make it easy and keep the shocks out of harms way, I mounted them center of the axle tubing.

When I did this the JK shocks that I had been using were too long. Less than 1" from bottoming out. This was before removing the BPE's. It turns out that the original XJ shocks are a workable length. So for now, until fine tuning is done, this is what I will run.

On another note......The rear of the XJ was lifted about 1.25". This was using after market spring perches on the 8.8. I was thinking that I would have to install my SYE because my driveshaft was already looking short with the original lift.

Upon inspection after finishing the 8.8 I realized that the 8.8 is longer in the nose and actually pushed the driveshaft forward close to were it was before any lift. The only thing I had to do was take the dremmel tool to the slip yoke end of the driveshaft to allow for more angle on the u-joint. No vibes were made either.

Quote:

Tags
8.8 , build , shock , mount , location

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.