Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Question - were to mount the shocks for best performance? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Question - were to mount the shocks for best performance?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Question - were to mount the shocks for best performance?

I'm working on an 8.8 for my 95'. It has a 3.5" lift in the rear and a 3" up front. I've got the tubes welded, perchs mounted, and new brake parts ready. I'm just trying to decide how to mount the shock brackets.

At first I thought up high and level with the axle to keep them out of the damage zone. But then I thought that it might limit my travel due to using a shorter shock.

Right now I have rock-road BPE's and JK shocks. I plan on getting new shocks after the build and bump stopping acordingly.

What is everyones opinion????

thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Fix View Post
"somewhere between really crappy and kind-of-crappy gas mileage."
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Raising your shock mounts is a good thing if you have shorter shocks because it will give you more droop. I used the JKS high shock mounts and they are great and mostly keep the shocks out of the rocks. My shocks are fairly long though, so it definitely limits my uptravel. Don't have them sticking any more than an inch below the axle tube.
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
postaldave
1996 XJ Cherokee 

with stock springs and a 3-4 lift i placed them right on the axle near the springs.
photo.jpg  
[url]http://www.facebook.com/slash5[/url]

[QUOTE=xdgt03;9409004]I removed mine. It is against federal law but so is being an illegal immigrant so...
[/QUOTE]
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You want to make sure that you maintain a reasonable amount of up travel, no less than 4", so your not bottoming out everytime you hit a pothole or drive down a fire road or have to carry something heavy in the jeep. You can only bottom out the shocks so many times before they either blow out or tear the mounts off. I had to mount mine are about an inch or two below the axle tubes to get a 12" shock. Just my.02
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
with stock springs and a 3-4 lift i placed them right on the axle near the springs.
Do this and then Raise your upper mounts into the cargo area, if looks aren't an issue It'll let you run MUCH longer shocks to give you more droop...

Nothing in Moderation
Wazzuppiggy156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I actually used the stock brackets off of a different 8.8 and welded them in. and i use a stock length shock and i have 4.5" of lift
cumminsjeep24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The pics are great guys. That yellow monster is Waaaayyy overkill for me at this point, because I live in FL the land of eternal flatness..

So 1-2" below the axle is sounding like the best option so far. I do tow and load the jeep from time to time so the suspention will get compressed.

On the other side, I do plan on lengthening and relocating the shackles and mounts for move rear travel. Not really planning on any more lift. This is still the daily beater.

I'm still undecided though.....

Quote:
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan to tow with it or carry heavy stuff you might want to hook up the trailer to it with your whatever you usually carry to see if 1 or 2 inches is going to be good. You want to definitely make sure your not going to be bottoming out under load. Most of our jeeps are trail rigs and only carry as much as we need to, what we run may not work for a work/tow rig. You have to do whatever is best for your particular needs.
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

robsjeepxj,

sounds like a really good idea....thanks

Quote:
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

hey what year 8.8 did you pick to swap out with and do you think you are going to run spacers or leave it as is width wise?

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I got my 8.8 from a 98' explorer. It discs and an open diff with 3.55's. I chose this one because it matches my current gear set so swapping is easier.

I plan on running 1.5 spacers in the rear and 1.25 spacers in the front. The 8.8 is about 5/8" shorter than the D35. I just don't remember if its 5/8s per side or total. I haven't measured.

I will do a gear swap in the future to 4.56s when I go to 33 or 35 tires.

Quote:
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most people including myself just run it as is. The difference is less than an inch so it's not a big deal. I run mine with 5x8 rims w/4" BS on 35's and it still has plenty of room between the tire and the leaf spring. I don't like spacers, they just seem kinda cheesy to me and I've heard of lots of people pulling them off because they cause vibs.
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The reason I'm running spacers is because I have stock wheels. 2 sets.

Don't think that spacers cause vibes......they just enhance whats already there.

Anymore thoughts about the shock mounts?

Quote:
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

High or Low???

Quote:
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Axle Side Mount Shock Brackets [06091840] - $24.00

use something like these and mount them even with the bottom of the axel tube and as far out as you can. Like the picture Postaldave posted above , but with these you don't have to angle them, theay are double shear and the shock will rotate on the bolt .

just my .02

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
8.8 , build , shock , mount , location

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.