Flywheel Bolt torque ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Flywheel Bolt torque ?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Flywheel Bolt torque ?

Unbelievably, the Chrysler OEM Service Manual doesn't state what the flywheel bolt torque should be for my 1989 Cherokee 4.0 six.

It does give the flywheel/converter BELLHOUSING fastener torque as 28ftlbs, but that's the only referral to the flywheel I can find in the entire Chassis book!

My best guess-timate would be 55ftlbs, but does anybody have an idea?

thx

michla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
XJH-007

I don't have my manual in front of me but I know it's higher then 55 ft-lbs. I remember having to wedge a screwdriver inbetween the body and flywheel to keep the motor from turning while torquing. I want to say 75+.

Edit:

Just found it.

61-75 ft-lbs Odd how it's a range.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038788
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, Scott---which manual did you find that in ? I can't believe the Chrysler gurus actually forgot to put that in there, but I searched just about every section of the Chassis book--including Clutch--and nothing!
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Just to confuse the issue more, my 88 FSM says under the 6cyl section (4.0 and 4.2L):

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS TABLE
================================================== ==
Application Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
Automatic Transmission-to-Block .................. 28 (38)
Clutch Housing-to-Block
Top ............................................ 27 (37)
Bottom ......................................... 43 (58)
Drive Plate-to-Converter ......................... 22 (30)
Drive Plate/Flywheel-to-Crankshaft ............. 105 (143)
Front Support Bracket-to-Block ................... 35 (47)
Front Support Cushion-to-Bracket ................. 33 (45)
Front Support Cushion-to-Crossmember ............. 37 (50)
Rear Support Bracket-to-Transmission ............. 33 (45)
Rear Support Cushion-to-Bracket .................. 30 (41)
Starter Motor-to-Converter Housing ............... 18 (24)
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thanx, Saudade--I printed that out, but....105 ftlbs of torque on those 7/16's shank bolts??? I would imagine the hex would snap off putting that kind of twist on 'em.

Is that a Chrysler Service (factory) Manual ? I have the same one, only 1989 and what section of the FSM did you find the flywheel bolt torque specs?

SPEAKING OF WHICH--it's highly recommended to use new flywheel bolts and even new pressure plate bolts. Anyone know where they got them?
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is the Chrysler FSM. If you have a PDF version, search on "flywheel-to-crankshaft" and you'll get a few hits. One is in the 2.5L engine section and shows 50 ft#. The others are in the 6 cyl (4.0 & 4.2L). The table came from the Engine removal (6 Cyl) section.

I also found the following table in my 95 FSM in the Clutch section;

As far as the bolts go, I looked them up but didn't see a specific size listed. Take one for comparison and get some at your local HW store. Grade 8 (or equivalent should do).
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Saudade--yeah I have the FSM in hard-print as well (purchased new) but for some odd reason, nothing like what you have in mine!

By the way--the 4.0 flywheel bolts are not your garden-store variety--oversize hex head and very fine thread.
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Bolt kit, but new question ??

4WD.COM has kit #
KIT361014K

bolts look to be the same, may be slightly longer and/or need shortening, but are indicated for 1980-1991 YJ or CJ

...does anybody know if the flywheel bolt thread would be the same for the XJ ??
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE:
I received the kit mentioned 4WD.COM kit #
KIT361014K containing flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts and pilot bearing. Turns out the parts are

MR GASKET #914 Flywheel bolts
MR GASKET #910 Pressure Plate bolts
Crown brand pilot bearing (good quality brand)

I'm mentioning it here so those of you that want to buy these locally can.

I'm a bit leery about the thin bolt head of the 914 Flywheel bolts, so I'm writing to the company to quiz 105ft lbs of torque. There is, however, the proper radius under the head at the shank of the bolt--that's good. Will post more about their answer.
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

As posted below, I have been questioning the torque applied to Mr. Gasket brand #914 flywheel bolts, as my chief concern was the thin hex head atop this bolt. Here is the communication I have received regarding my concern:

Quote:
Mr. Gasket Knowledgebase Question:
I have purchased Mr. Gasket flywheel bolts #914 for this vehicle which appear to be fine EXCEPT for one concern I wish to ask: The Factory Service Manual calls for *105* ft lbs. of torque applied to these bolts upon flywheel installation. Noticing the rather thin hex head, will these bolts withstand that kind of torque or ???

Reply from Rep:
These bolts are grade 8, and intended for the high force clamp load applicable in this intended application.

Reply from Customer:
Yes, but will Mr.Gasket *warrant* that these bolts withstand a 105 foot pound clamping force? (the OEM specified flywheel torque for a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 engine). The thin hex head of the bolt concerns me.

Reply from Rep:
Yes, this will NOT be a problem. These are very High Quality bolts. Remember to use 30W oil to reach this 105 spec, as per ASTM Bolt Specs.
Unread 03-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #11
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Weird that the rep suggested to use 30w oil, I wonder how much the torque spec is off when using locktite.
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Weird that the rep suggested to use 30w oil, I wonder how much the torque spec is off when using locktite.
Very little difference, so long as the threads are lubricated which Loctite provides sufficiently until it cures.
Unread 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michla View Post
Very little difference, so long as the threads are lubricated which Loctite provides sufficiently until it cures.
Thank you for your response, time to order some hardware.
Unread 03-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michla View Post
Unbelievably, the Chrysler OEM Service Manual doesn't state what the flywheel bolt torque should be for my 1989 Cherokee 4.0 six.

It does give the flywheel/converter BELLHOUSING fastener torque as 28ftlbs, but that's the only referral to the flywheel I can find in the entire Chassis book!

My best guess-timate would be 55ftlbs, but does anybody have an idea?

thx
Flywheel/flexplate-to-crankshaft screws are up around 100-105lb-ft of install torque, consider the use of LocTite #242 (or equivalent) to be MANDATORY. They're a pain to get to if they get loose...

Check my site (www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html) - if I've managed to get my grubby paws on an FSM, I've put the specs up there. If I don't have your year, one in the same bracket should give useful information ("brackets" for XJs would be 1987-1990, 1991-1995, 1996, and 1997-2001.)

Oh - and don't go to the hardware store to source replacements! Most hardware stores don't carry "place bolts," which you require for this use!

For the automatics, ARP has a set for Pontiac V8 (1/2"-20x0.590", 6pcs) that will work. I need to look up a replacement option for the manuals, since those screws are a bit longer. If you don't want to get that, get them from the dealer. It's worth it.
Unread 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Flywheel/flexplate-to-crankshaft screws are up around 100-105lb-ft of install torque, consider the use of LocTite #242 (or equivalent) to be MANDATORY. They're a pain to get to if they get loose...

Check my site (www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html) - if I've managed to get my grubby paws on an FSM, I've put the specs up there. If I don't have your year, one in the same bracket should give useful information ("brackets" for XJs would be 1987-1990, 1991-1995, 1996, and 1997-2001.)

Oh - and don't go to the hardware store to source replacements! Most hardware stores don't carry "place bolts," which you require for this use!

For the automatics, ARP has a set for Pontiac V8 (1/2"-20x0.590", 6pcs) that will work. I need to look up a replacement option for the manuals, since those screws are a bit longer. If you don't want to get that, get them from the dealer. It's worth it.
Thanks for the information 5-90. I have been looking into flywheel bolts (not flexplate) and have found two aftermarket options (for the 4.0L). Mr Gasket part # 914 and also ARP Part # 146-2801.

I'm getting ready to drop my ax15 to install a new luk clutch kit and flywheel, thanks to everyone's help I have sourced the correct hardware for the flywheel and pressure plate (mr gasket part# 910).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.