Floor mount dimmer mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Floor mount dimmer mod

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Floor mount dimmer mod

My multi function switch is broken and I cannot piece it back together. I plan on installing a floor mounted dimmer switch. Here is my problem, I have 5 wires and only 3 prongs on the floor switch. 2 purple/white, 1 pink/green, 1 red orange, 1 heavier gauge black/tan. I believe the black/tan is the ground. The 2 purple/white wires were connected together. Stupid Chilton's manual didn't have the wires the same color. Can someone tell me how to go about this and if I have the wrong switch?

image.jpg  
zimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just repair your multi function switch and keep your XJ complete. KISS keep it simple stupid
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

That switch is like $100 though!
Unread 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Be a junk yard man,nothing wrong with that,at my local pull a part might cost 10$
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Best as I can read the FSM for my 95, the black/tan is ground, the red/orange is high beam and the violet/white is low beam.
I'm not sure what pink/green is, but something needs to feed the dashboard high beam lamp
I would also suggest getting the proper part, or at least your own FSM for your year so you can be SURE of the wiring
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Found a reference that shows the pink/green feeds POWER TO the "beam select switch" and the dashboard lamp it lit by some other wire...

Would still suggest using the correct part.
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. Gonna go swap the part tomorrow.
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man I miss floor high beam switches. Seemed like a no brainer as your left foot is almost always doing nothing. Never really understood why they stopped installing them. Probably due to constant corrosion.

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man this is so funny! So I started lengthening the wire to run to te floor switch and with nothing hooked up to it yet, I connected the negative battery cable and pulled the knob out to see if I would get headlights. What happens next amazes me....the warning buzzer came on every time I pulled the knob out!!!! It had never worked before and now it is with the 5 wires just hanging there. This is crazy!?!!??? Can anyone explain how the warning buzzer is wired in to the lights/door ajar?
image.jpg  
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Best as I can read the schematic, when the headlight switch is in either Park or ON, a circuit between the left front door switch and the chime module is connected.
The wire between the door switch and headlight switch is lite blue, and the wire between the headlight switch and chime module is pink/light blue (Same color as the "key in ignition" circuit).
So, IF the drivers door is open AND either the key is in the ignition OR the lights are on, the chime will sound.
(I assume no responsibility for any misinterpretation. You should get a copy of the FSM...)
Unread 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I do like the floor mounted switch idea however the multifunction switch controls more than head lights and when those functions go out you will be replacing it then.I see where your trying to tap into wires and not having the best of luck yet.I still suggest you fix it right now and avoid later problems.I don't mean to come across as rude but I think you could possibly be causing other problems.
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #12
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, I'm just gonna pony up the cash to buy the switch. Hopefully I can install it properly.
Unread 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Installing the part should be a breeze.
All you need is a schem... er... nevermind.
(Just kidding!)
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Super easy install...still haven't purchased the multi switch but did actually wire up the floor switch. The violet/white wires go on either the left or right terminal on the switch, the red/orange wire goes to the opposite terminal, the black/tan ground wire goes to the middle terminal. Step on the switch and the high beams light up. Simple. I just left out the pink/green wire. Might install another toggle or flip style switch for the dash light. Voila!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.