Flooded: Do i need any fluid changes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Flooded: Do i need any fluid changes?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
mbgp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Flooded: Do i need any fluid changes?

So my jeep was submerged in some brown river water today in the school parkling lot after it flooded. the water was right under my bottom door seal, no water got in but it obviously covered the whole diff and my exhaust was submerged for about 30 minutes. the jeep still runs tho. i was thinking to just change the diff fluid (rear. its a 2wd) and run a can a seafoam thought the tank? its a 2001 with the 4.0 and a d35 rear

mbgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

Transmission fluid and engine oil look good?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
mbgp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i gotta check, its still pouring over here! oil should be brown and trans fluid??/? im a newb
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

Trans fluid should be red and smell sweet. I would not drive or even start the Jeep until you verify both fluids are good or change them both with their respective filters.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Trans fluid should be red and smell sweet. I would not drive or even start the Jeep until you verify both fluids are good or change them both with their respective filters.
Sweet as cat piss , x2 on this though.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
stoneytj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

x3 yep just did the same thing on mine.

build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...1/#post8930381
stoneytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
mbgp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

so i just checked both fluids and they both are fine. anything else i should worry about? my brakes were creaking loudly for a few minutes after i got it out of the water.
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If the rear vent was where it was suppose to be in the frame rail, you didnt get anything in the axle...as long as it wasnt hot

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
RenegadEpl
1997 ZJ 

Same thing happened to me except i was stuck in water for over an hour with the engine running and after i puled it out i had water in the transmission ..... should i worry about water in different places ?? what should i look for and what should i change ?
RenegadEpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
dacotua
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Check your rear differential. I know it has a vent tube, but many of the rear ends have a rubber push in plug for the rear differential fill hole. Water can get around that stupid plug... TRUST ME I KNOW FOR A FACT.
dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
RenegadEpl
1997 ZJ 

i might as well just change all the fluids ... im not sure what to do about the water in the transmission . im not sure how to get it all out . and should i just change my every fluid ? and any gaskets while im at it ?
RenegadEpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.