Flexplate bolts / cracked flexplate noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Flexplate bolts / cracked flexplate noise

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Flexplate bolts / cracked flexplate noise

I've had an apparent flexplate noise problem either loose bolts or a cracked flexplate, for a while now. And I was going to put it off till i try to build a stroker, but i heard from a guy that works at a tranny shop that theres an inspection cover that allows access to the flexplate bolts, and or will let you inspect the flexplate for cracks. Has anyone got any input as to how to remove the inspection cover? And are the bolts accessable from there if i keep bumping the starter? And has anyone tryed this?

Gsmyth75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Offroadss350
1998 XJ Cherokee 

take the starter out the and turn the front of the crank with a breaker bar. tighten the bolts though the starter hole, a crack is going to be hard to see until you pull the trans.
Unread 01-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It more likely in anyones opinion for bolts to loosen to cause a clanking sound or for a flexplate to crack? Cause I've heard its hard to crack a flexplate, and I'm praying its just the bolts.
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
peacekeeper

I ran a cracked flew plate in my explorer for almost a year with no noise. The plate is easy to take off. Only 3 or 4 bolts. You can shine a flashlight on it while someone rotates the crank and see pretty much all of one side of the plate. I would check the bolts.
peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

There are TWO sets of bolts on the flexplate:

1. the set that attaches the torque converter to the flexplate
2. the set that attaches the flexplate to the flange on the crankshaft

ONLY set #1 can be accessed by removing the flywheel inspection cover on the bellhousing.

Set #2 can be reached ONLY by removing the transmission.

There HAVE been some (relatively rare) reports of annular cracking of the flexplate around the bolt holes where it attaches to the crankshaft. It makes a knocking sound when this happens, and the only fix is a new flexplate.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
There are TWO sets of bolts on the flexplate:

1. the set that attaches the torque converter to the flexplate
2. the set that attaches the flexplate to the flange on the crankshaft

ONLY set #1 can be accessed by removing the flywheel inspection cover on the bellhousing.

Set #2 can be reached ONLY by removing the transmission.

There HAVE been some (relatively rare) reports of annular cracking of the flexplate around the bolt holes where it attaches to the crankshaft. It makes a knocking sound when this happens, and the only fix is a new flexplate.
Thanks, I guess I can only hope its #1
Unread 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In the last two months I have ran across cracks in the flexplate around crankshaft bolts on 4.0 93 ZJ and lose flexplate to torque converter bolts on a 4.0 95 XJ.

Both had over 180K miles. I replaced both flexplates, the 93 due to the cracks and the 95 had slotted the flexplate to torque converter bolt holes.

Both sounded similar.
Tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
KrugeJ
1980 J-Series Truck 

can anyone tell me if the intermitant pinging noise coming from the bell housing area is a cracked flex plate?
KrugeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know of 3 guys in my local club who had cracked flexplates including myself. If you remove the 3 or 4 bolts holding the inspection cover off you can see the flexplate fairly well then. You may need to clean it really well with brake cleaner to see them unless they are really bad. Usually cracks are caused by loose trans bell housing to engine or torque converter to flexplate bolts. This causes the flexplate to twist instead of rotate. Here's a couple pics for reference.

This was mine, it make a loud knocking noise at idle that went away above 1500rpm. The marker is to outline all the different cracks.

This what happens if you ignore it way too long.
[/QUOTE]
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the other one from my friend Steves XJ

Unread 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
bobvalli
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
Here's the other one from my friend Steves XJ
Thanks for the pics.

Do you know if any of the trucks that had the flexplate replaced had any vibration issues prior to the replacement?

I suspect the flexplate on my truck is either warped or cracked and am wondering if vibration is another symptom.

TIA
bobvalli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No I haven't heard of any vibration issues nor did I have any.
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
bobvalli
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
No I haven't heard of any vibration issues nor did I have any.
Thanks

Not sounding too good for my theory about the plate.

This vibe has had me scratching my head as well as emptying my wallet since early last summer.
bobvalli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
tervalentpage
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvalli View Post
Thanks

Not sounding too good for my theory about the plate.

This vibe has had me scratching my head as well as emptying my wallet since early last summer.
It could be a combination of things as well. It could in fact be the flex plate, and something else minute like needing your tires balanced or a new ujoint or front end aligned or whatever else on top of that as well.
tervalentpage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.