Flashing engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Flashing engine light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
SkeeterJeep
2002 WJ 

Flashing engine light

So 2 weeks ago my engine light started flashing, took it to the garadge to get fixed, they said it was a misfire.. But the Manuel said exactly that its a Cadillac converter problem...tried telling that to him but its wrong obv (sheesh) anyway, today it started doing it again.. truck shakes like its in an earthquaks as soon as i get just under 30.... any ideas?

SkeeterJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is this on your WJ? If so, you are in the wrong forum. These forums are model specific.

In general though, a flashing check engine light indicates a SERIOUS misfire, which if ignored, will destroy your catalytic converter.

You need to resolve this ASAP. There are a whole host of causes of misfires.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This happened to me a few months ago, turned out to be a dead injector.
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Like tjwalker said, a flashing light is there to get your attention...as in "Hey, stop driving and fix this problem".

This is a basic rule for ALL OBDII vehicles, even Cadillacs!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner. View Post
I slide it in and then when I pull, it works fine.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It converts into a Cadillac?? lol thats funny.

CHECK YOUR GAP. Champion set at .035. Dont skip this part. Report back on conditions of plugs and while your in there do a compression test.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterJeep
So 2 weeks ago my engine light started flashing, took it to the garadge to get fixed, they said it was a misfire.. But the Manuel said exactly that its a Cadillac converter problem...tried telling that to him but its wrong obv (sheesh) anyway, today it started doing it again.. truck shakes like its in an earthquaks as soon as i get just under 30.... any ideas?
Being a tech, I can see where he told you that you were wrong. That's just about every techs petpeve is when customers bring there car in self diagnosed.

When the engine light is flashing its most of the time due to miss fires that can cause damage to the catalyst. Either pull codes and put them on here so we can help you determine what's causing the miss fires or take it to the shop and just tell them its running rough and the cel is flashing. Then see what they tell you.
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
SkeeterJeep
2002 WJ 

No its on my XJ (i know the difference in the forums), and now he is saying its prob a bad injector. There are no stores around within 40 miles that can pull codes, i live in the middle of no where.
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No its on my XJ (i know the difference in the forums), and now he is saying its prob a bad injector. There are no stores around within 40 miles that can pull codes, i live in the middle of no where.
Did he pull codes? Ask him what codes he got.
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
SkeeterJeep
2002 WJ 

He does not have the machine needed to pull the codes. This is an old town and he is the closest garage in 70 miles....I miss virginia.... lol
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
He does not have the machine needed to pull the codes. This is an old town and he is the closest garage in 70 miles....I miss virginia.... lol
Take the drive to a shop that will be able to pull codes and properly diag the jeep. Otherwise be prepared to spend a lot of money throwing parts at a problem, that you arnt sure what's causing it.
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You still haven't told us what YEAR your XJ is.

This information is critical to getting proper responses.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) Pull your own codes. Buy whatever is required to do so. Your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

2) Get a better mechanic. Sounds like your mechanic can't find his backside, with both hands trying.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Turn the key forward and back 3 times leaving it in the on position. Count the blinks. The codes come in 2 digits (12-battery disconnected last 50 starts, 43-coil driver, 55- codes done)

Lol i bet those are your codes. And i bet youll pull code p1391 with a OBD2 scanner. Infact your online. Order a dang OBD2 scanner for like 40$ on amazon!
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
SkeeterJeep
2002 WJ 

sorry it is a 2000. and it ended up being both injectors. one was dead and the other was misfiring a lot..
Unread 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue in my 2000 like I said previously. Replacements arnt really all that much either.
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.