Fixing the NSS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fixing the NSS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Kurtis180
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fixing the NSS

Just bought my first jeep a 98 cherokee. Check engine light is on and the code is for the NSS. I was told they're $500 new. I am wondering which years would fit as i am going to a junkyard to try to find one for cheaper.
Thanks!

Kurtis180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I THINK there was a change to the wiring harness after 1995 or 96, so safe bet would be to find one from a late model...
Also, here are some write ups on removing and cleaning yours:
http://web.archive.org/web/200503070...echtippage.htm
http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

Question: do your backup lights work? Do you have problems starting the engine, or will it start in gear?? Maybe try clearing the codes and see if they come back.
If you shop around you might find one for $150 or so
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I just tried to pull one off my 98 parts jeep to sell and it was destroyed inside and fell all apart

image-3622635460.jpg

Be careful pulling it.
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
bluerolo

I just bought one from this guy on ebay...was a good used part...here is another he has, only 20 bucks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-Transmi...4af644&vxp=mtr
bluerolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis180 View Post
Just bought my first jeep a 98 cherokee. Check engine light is on and the code is for the NSS. I was told they're $500 new. I am wondering which years would fit as i am going to a junkyard to try to find one for cheaper.
Thanks!
Dismount & clean - it's cheaper, easier, and takes about an hour all up (add fifteen minutes if you have trouble adjusting the thing.)

Work carefully, and I suggest putting both hands and the NSS in a large bag before you split the case halves - there are two small copper "blade" spring-loaded terminals in there, and they can go for a quick flight if you're not careful (they usually load the switch down with some anti-corrosive goo, which usually retains the loose terminals. However, the time you aren't ready for it is the time they'll go flying - cf: Murphy's Law.)

See my notes elsewhere for tips on damage-free removal of the old NSS - if you've got some time, go to eBay and order a "cast spreader" - it's a medical instrument used to split casts after slitting with a saw, and it will give you more precise force & more control when removing the NSS (and it's a handy tool anyhow, I've found.)
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Kurtis180
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the quick replies. I actually found a junkyard that is mainly all jeep parts in my area. Got a used one for 100 bucks.
Kurtis180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well then, if you can get the old one off w/o breaking it, clean it up and keep it as a spare
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Damn, used for $100?

New from Mopar, they are around $250. Used on ebay, $20. I bought a chinese copy on ebay for $45 and hopefully it works fine, at least until I sell the Jeep. I'll clean up the original part for a spare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.