Fixed a/c. But now 30% less powerfull! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fixed a/c. But now 30% less powerfull! Help!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
brettster323
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fixed a/c. But now 30% less powerfull! Help!

Ok so i finally got the A/C up and running on my 99 XJ. I turned it on and went for a drive. Coming to find out that it has no where near the same amount of power it had before. I mean iv'e only really done a tune up. (Rotor,spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, air filter). But i just didnt think that the A/C would absorb that much power! So i was wondering what i should focus on next? I can't decide which is more important, New exhaust system or Really work on the motor? I really wanna get the engine in good working condition or better before i really focus on the other stuff. Any suggestions?

brettster323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The engine has 30% less power than before you fixed the A/C *and* did a tune up??
What did you do to fix the A/C? Was it disconnected from the serpentine belt when it wasn't working?
What spark plugs did you use?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
brettster323
1999 XJ Cherokee 

we just re-pumped it. ( filled it with pressure ya know?) because for some reason it was like non-exsistant when we got it. And i think i put Kingston spark plugs. not positive, i gotta find the box. Im just stumped because it shouldnt be taking that much of my power, so im thinking bout either replacing it, or putting it up on the lift and really start ****ing with it for a lil bit
brettster323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If they are platinum plugs, many people here swear that the Jeep I6 doesn't run well on anything but what the factory uses. Haven't tried any fancy plugs myself, so I can't add to that.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I rarely ever use the A/C, though it does work perfectly. However, it does really use up a lot of hp. I have a switch so I control the compressor clutch, and you can feel the engine slow when I turn it on.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
CG98XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
If they are platinum plugs, many people here swear that the Jeep I6 doesn't run well on anything but what the factory uses. Haven't tried any fancy plugs myself, so I can't add to that.
YES!! put the recommended Champion plugs in. I can almost guarantee she will run better. If not just disconnect the A/C.....you got windows right??
1998 2door XJ - RE 3.5 SF and 2in teraflex shackle and spacers, 35x12.50 BFG M/T, 15x8 RockCrawler Wheels, AJ's offroad super rails, Nates 4x4 rear bumper, Flowmaster 40 Optima Yellow Top, Currie Enterprise HD Tierod and Draglink and lots of cut sheetmetal

1998 ZJ - daily driver
CG98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hear the platinum plug deal all the time, but my jeep runs perfect with Champion double platinums. I've used them for years, never had any issues with them. Fortunately my jeep can't read so it doesn't know it isn't supposed to run on them.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Either you overfilled your AC like big time or you have a vac leak somewhere.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , jeep , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.