First Cherokee Project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
ImStillAlive

First Cherokee Project

I recently bought a 2000 Freedom Edition Cherokee with a quite a bit of damage. I'm interested in fixing and building her up. I live approx. 25 minutes away from the Rocky Mtns and they yearn to be driven on! The previous owner explained that she's been in an accident where she went off a hill and flipped onto the right side as well as a vandalism attack.
Damage List:
- Liftgate has broken window and large dent ( from vandalism )
- Windshield has many cracks
- Entire right side of body has dents, I'd like to repair the biggest ones, I'd need a new fender, a new body piece that surrounds the grill, and a new bumper.

I'm most concerned with not having a back window, I've visited a few junkyards unsuccessfully and have searched online for a cheap new ( or used ) lift gate. I'm not so inclined to spend a G on a new one. Its proven difficult for me to find a liftgate that fits the Freedom Edition. The shape of the Freedom looks to be less boxy than the regular Cherokee's so I'm not sure about putting a liftgate on from a regular Cherokee. If anyone has suggestions to where I could locate a new rear hatch as well as the damaged body parts I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 AM
kairo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillAlive
I recently bought a 2000 Freedom Edition Cherokee with a quite a bit of damage. I'm interested in fixing and building her up. I live approx. 25 minutes away from the Rocky Mtns and they yearn to be driven on! The previous owner explained that she's been in an accident where she went off a hill and flipped onto the right side as well as a vandalism attack.
Damage List:
- Liftgate has broken window and large dent ( from vandalism )
- Windshield has many cracks
- Entire right side of body has dents, I'd like to repair the biggest ones, I'd need a new fender, a new body piece that surrounds the grill, and a new bumper.

I'm most concerned with not having a back window, I've visited a few junkyards unsuccessfully and have searched online for a cheap new ( or used ) lift gate. I'm not so inclined to spend a G on a new one. Its proven difficult for me to find a liftgate that fits the Freedom Edition. The shape of the Freedom looks to be less boxy than the regular Cherokee's so I'm not sure about putting a liftgate on from a regular Cherokee. If anyone has suggestions to where I could locate a new rear hatch as well as the damaged body parts I'd appreciate it.
I bought a working hatch with good lift shocks from a local U-pull it. Cost me $200 if I remember correctly

Edit: my jeep is the old body style. Your results may differ, sorry

Was: 1979 CJ-5, 1982 CJ-7, 1995 XJ, 1991 YJ, 2006 KJ, 1979 F-150
Is: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi & '02 TJ on 35's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Windshield is an easy fix. $80-120 and someone will come do it for you!
post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
g0dz1ll4

Look around and you should find one way cheaper than that - our local pull n save only charges $25 or so.

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
RWB214

I believe that any 97-01 hatch will fit on yours. I'm pretty sure they are all the same. And steel too! the 84-96's are fiberglass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.