Figuring out my rear axle - 1990 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Figuring out my rear axle - 1990 XJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
jeepers12
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Figuring out my rear axle - 1990 XJ

Hey ya'll.

I've recently acquired a 1990 XJ as a work vehicle to save miles going to work on my daily driver. I've decided that I'm going to do some upgrades to make it my hunting vehicle as well. My plan is to install a 3" or 4.5" lift from rusty's and I need to know which rear axle I have. I'm about 99% sure that it is a Dana 35, but some of the pictures I've looked at through the posts resemble a Chrysler 8.25. Also, give me your opinions on Rusty's kits versus other budget lift kits. She obviously needs some love, but can't complain for a freebie.

Thanks in advance.

jeepers12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

yah D35. There should be some info on the tag to the upper left there and also 350 stamped on the housing behind it.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
jeepers12
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Chris. Any opinions on budget lifts for these babies?
jeepers12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i built a very capable 93 xj using a 3in lift kit from rustys mixed in with a little custom work. I bought a 2in budget lift- 2in coil spring spaces and 2in lift shackles for the rear and added that to the lift- it got me about 5in of lift. I built my own lower control arms(heavy steel tubing) and threw on an adj track bar. its a little bit of a harsh ride but i also have the HD coil springs instead of regular ones. its a jeep anyway so who cares. the lift from rustys was 300 and i think i got the 2in budget lift for like 75.
yamazinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

D35 for sure. Don't plan on going over 33" tires especially if you like throttling everything hard.
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

As Chris said, you have the D35.
As far as Rusty's stuff goes: It's gotten better over time. There was some concern with the tie rod end on his track bar, some have failed due to fatigue and these were documented. That problem was resolved and I haven't heard of a failure in a couple years. I ran that track bar but upgraded, then modified a Currie. I run Rusty's 4.5" full packs in the rear and 4.5" coils with lift pucks in the front. I also have the Rusty's long-arm upgrade kit which I bought during a discount they offered, well worth it. Lifting over 3" may require a driveline mod such as SYE and double cardan drive shaft. and if you plan to do any hard wheeling you may want to look into a Ford 8.8 axle replacement from your newly identified D35.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.