a few greenhorn questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > a few greenhorn questions...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
94lifted

a few greenhorn questions...

howdy, first post here

just picked up my first jeep couple weeks ago!

1993 Cherokee Country
4.0 HO
3.5 skyjacker
31" open country
2 1/2" header back exhuast

i searched around for answers but to no avail, couple small things wrong with it i was hoping to get some help with!

autozone and shucks insist it has no pcv valve?! yet the thing that exactly resembles a pcv valve is leaking slightly... what pcv valve can i pick up to replace it with?

Temp guage is totally inaccurate, can i fix this?

slight rythmic grinding noise coming from the rear? yet all wheel bearings seem fine (don't shake at all) could this be the rear diff?

and a ******* question but all fourwheel drives are not the same. what are the rules for shifting into 4x4? (like always in neutral or below a certain speed etc etc)

pre-thanks! theres alot of knowledgable ppl on here! i'll get some pics up after i wash the poor thing

94lifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
94lifted

pics

coupla pics from my camera phone... sorry bout the qualitee and sorry i don't have more posts lol

In Town
at timberline
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
94lifted

bump for some wisdom
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
98SportDrvr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hmm lets see here young jeeper apprentice. Ignor what altozone and the other store say. there are two pcv valves. Both are on top of you valve cover. If you are leakin from these theres two solutions. pull said pcv valves and clean them out. the other is to walk into a descent autoparts store with the valve(take it off in the parkinglot) walk past the idot counter and walk till you find the pcv valves. they have them but their too dumb to know. That or hit up a local junkyard and grab one wont cost ya but 50 cents max or free at junkyard. make sure its not clogged and there ya go.

THe temp gauge is off how? Do you know for a fact its running hot or cold? THese things normally run around 195-210 degree's stock. If you know for a fact its inaccurate try checking the sending unit, might just be bad or loose connections. That or just go get some aftermarket gauge and mount it up.

Your rear end noise IS your diff. Is it a grinding or wining noise? if its a wining noise your pinion bearings are worn and need fixing. It happens, heck mine wine since i rebuilt my diff. Can't explain it. one day ill fix it.... If its a grinding noise, then well it could be worn, chiped, cracked, gears. Could any of the gears in ur diff. best way to check is to pop the diff and look for metal shavings and spin the axle looking for bad wears or chunks missing.

Last but not least the 4x4 engagement. its really easy. to go from 2wd to 4hi the shifting is on the fly, try and do it at low speeds just to be on the safe side. to get into neutral is just another shift away. To put it in 4lo put it in neutral, shift, put in drive and go. rolling, aka barely moving makes this easy. thats the way to do it, if thats ur x-fer case ya got. if remember right ya got the 231 which is settup 2wd, 4hi,Neutral then 4lo. If not tell us and can we can tell ya how to shift her.
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
law.74

I don't believe they are "valves", but grommets rather. The valve cover should vent freely to the intake or for those who don't care about EPA stuff vent them straight to the engine bay. HOWEVER... Some people replace the old grommets with GM grommets and PCV valves. You may have a PO non-OEM fix.
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
98SportDrvr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yes they are just vents. i was just calling them valves cause thats what i always called em. some pcv's are actually valves though, they open and shut with air pressure. the ones on the xj are just open with no valve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.