Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fan Relay to PCM P1491 help needed

419 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  deandec 
#1 ·
My 99XJ has the CEL on due to a P1491 error code. The Fan Relay circuit has a problem.

I understand this relay (below the pssngr headlight) is for the AC supplemental electric radiator fan.

1. I cannot get the fan to turn by jumping from a 12v source to the blue wire leading from the Dorman fan relay connector to the fan motor.

2. I installed a new fan relay yesterday. Today the relay appears to have a baby bump.

3. I did not test the old relay before discarding it (dumb me).

I assume that the electric fan then needs to be replaced?

What would have caused my new relay to swell up in the center of the relay in one day's use?

#2 ·
putting 12v to the light blue wire - My diagram shows control is a dark blue - no confusion I hope. 4 wires- light blue, dark blue/pink, light green/red, white*

Could the wire be grounded?
You can spin the fan blades by hand?
Ideally a amp/draw and confirm the 12v is going to fan- not a open grounded light blue wire.
The fan ground is good, black wire

* there is a question on this color.

Attachments

#3 ·
jtec, thank you for your reply.

The new Dorman relay connector has four wires.

Red, Green, Black and Blue

I connected the colors to a matching color, except the Red Wire was connected to a non-descript color that maybe used to be red but was more brown now.

The Doorman blue wire was connected to the original blue wire with a violet streak.

I can spin the electric fan.

I have yet to check the 15a fuse in the junction block. The fuse in the Power Distribution Center was Hot with the ignition off as it should be.

I hope to get more checking done today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.