Fan has hit radiator twice now! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fan has hit radiator twice now!

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
hracer422
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Fan has hit radiator twice now!

The other day up in the woods me and a buddy were up there going up a hill when steam started coming outa the grill pretty bad, i turned it off and backed down to the start, got out and seen radiator fluid coming out pretty good, i was praying for a over flow bottle this time, seeing as how this same exact problem happend not more then a month ago and i thought i fixed the problem.

Opened the hood and seen the same thing that happend a month ago, dont ask me how but either the motor jumped forward from its massive power or the radiator shifted back into the 6 pronged thing on the end of the fan (idk technical term) and actualy broke one off this time.
Last time this happend it was just on the road and at my house i was just checking out underneath it and grabbed the driveshaft to pull myself under a bit and the whole driveshaft,transfercase,trans and motor shifted the way i pulled it. it was missing the two bolts from the cross member to the transfercase which have now been replaced,locktite,lockwashers and me pulling hard.

Those bolts are still in there so it cant be that, the fan clutch was replaced before i bought the jeep could it have been installed wrong and is moving around? i realy dont feel like buying a new radiator every month thinking i fixed the problem next bet is to put a piece of sheetmetal just big enough to where if it happens again it will just hit it rather then the radiator, maybe pop rivit to the radiator idk

hracer422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

some dumb redneck probably installed the radiator wrong
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not all fan clutches that are listed for the XJ are the correct length. If you are completely and positively sure that your engine and transmission mounts are properly holding your drive line from shifting, you should compare your replacement fan clutch to a factory original part. The overall length of your clutch should be the same as the factory stock part.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

even if all the mounts were completely garbage the engine would not climb into the radiator...

make sure all the rubber gromets that locate the radiator are installed on the top and the bottom
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Check while the engine is running, to see if the harmonic balancer is moving front to back or vise versa while you rev the engine. If it is, your balancer rubber is deteriorated and the balancer needs to be replaced.
This condition will cause the fan to walk and hit the radiator.
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I figured my motor mounts looked fine so I went ahead and replaced my radiator after a slight front ender. Drove it one day with some strange sounds only to find the fan clutch was digging into the back of the radiator (when I would pull up to a stop) enough so that I had to replace the damn thing again. Turns out my passenger side motor mount was bad even though visually looked fine. Replaced both sides(and crossmember) with oem and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

x2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a bad passanger side motor mount in a know problem on xj's for the fan hitting the radiator !!!!

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

x3 check those motor mounts pronto; two minutes to open the hood and look.
I'm not impressed with the factory ones because I've seen too many fail. When mine started causing problems I replaced with M.O.R.E. bombproof mounts. They're a bit more expensive, but not when you start figuring in the cost of resultant damages.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
berubeny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 98. Ended up being a missing bolt on top of the radiator support. Also make sure the radiator is lined up in the bracket holes on the crossmember.
berubeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
hracer422
1987 XJ Cherokee 

here are the pics of the first two radiators and hopefully the final radiator if i get it all fixed and nothing else goes wrong. i was very impressed with napa btw for getting bolth of the new radiators shipped in one day and for much cheaper then anywhere else, bolth new ones are all metal, 3 row radiators for around 120$ would deffinatly recomend them, the newest radiator since proliance went bankrupt is "CSF" brand part number "2572" for anyone thinking of getting a new one

hracer422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

i installed my fan clutch a couple months ago and just took a hammer to the 6 prongs that were there, they come off real easy since it is aluminum. i didnt like how close it was to my radiator.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.