Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #106
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Plans have changed again. I discovered Fal has the D35 rear axle. I thought all along he had the C8.25. The donor has the Chrysler so I'll install that under Fal's rig. His Cherokee sat at 19.5" before I pulled out the axle and springs. Can't wait to see what he gets when I put the springs on. I still have the gussets to make for the brackets. I will push the donor back into the shop and swap axles with Fal, then load it on a trailer. Not going to keep the D35 as a spare. Simplifies things a little...

cimg0005_1.jpg

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #107
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Is the C8.25 the right gear ratio? You might have covered this, I just don't remember.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #108
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
Is the C8.25 the right gear ratio? You might have covered this, I just don't remember.
Don't know... there's no tag on the pumpkin. Since the donor is a "Classic", 2WD, and has a Class I hitch, I'm guessing it has a pretty light ratio. I don't expect the ratios to be the same, but it will be a stronger axle. Prolly have to regear it at some point. I've got Fal searching out rims. He's complaining they are going to cost him ~$450. He's not going to want to hear about R&P!

But maybe I'll go full-widths!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #109
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Was the donor 4x4? If so, you could just swap both axles.
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #110
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Was the donor 4x4? If so, you could just swap both axles.
You need to open BOTH eyes when you read!!! It's 2WD. I would have figured that one out!

Unread 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #111
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty much every XJ with an auto trans will be 3:55 gears. The earliest ones had some different ratio's, but most all 91-up models are 3:55 for auto and 3:07 for the manual transmissions. I hear there are some elusive ones out there with 3:73 gear, but have never actually saw one.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #112
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Pretty much every XJ with an auto trans will be 3:55 gears. The earliest ones had some different ratio's, but most all 91-up models are 3:55 for auto and 3:07 for the manual transmissions. I hear there are some elusive ones out there with 3:73 gear, but have never actually saw one.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback! This has been one very quiet thread. My son's XJ is a '90. Guess I'll still have to check the gearing. But if the donor axle is 3.55 I am happy! Thank you, Fever...

Unread 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #113
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are the brackets gusseted and painted. Fallon will wire-wheel and paint the C8.25 tomorrow. Hope to have the axle back underneath by Saturday. Here are the pics...
0912131805_1.jpg

0912131810_1.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #114
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You need to open BOTH eyes when you read!!! It's 2WD. I would have figured that one out!
With as many jeeps as you've got in the yard, I'm suprised that you can keep up with which ones are 4WD vs. 2WD...

Besides, with all three of your threads, and all the sidetrips that they take, I really just didn't feel like looking back through 200 pages of posts to figure it out for myself.

Finally, if you'd go back to working on the 'real' jeeps, we wouldn't have to ask stupid questions like that.

All kidding aside, its looking good, and I'm learning as you go too. You never know, I might stuble across one of these some day just for a change of pace. Also, you mentioned another forum in one of your other threads. Why haven't we seen a link to this so we can follow along?
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #115
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
With as many jeeps as you've got in the yard, I'm suprised that you can keep up with which ones are 4WD vs. 2WD...

Besides, with all three of your threads, and all the sidetrips that they take, I really just didn't feel like looking back through 200 pages of posts to figure it out for myself.

Finally, if you'd go back to working on the 'real' jeeps, we wouldn't have to ask stupid questions like that.

All kidding aside, its looking good, and I'm learning as you go too. You never know, I might stuble across one of these some day just for a change of pace. Also, you mentioned another forum in one of your other threads. Why haven't we seen a link to this so we can follow along?
LOL! I am humbled.

I'll post a link. It's pretty much the same thing, but with feedback!

I found that I really like the XJ. It's fun to drive, roomy, and efficient. Might have to build one for me too.

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #116
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This is the benefit of chilruns. I don't have to work anymore!

Today's weather is supposed to be 94* and partly cloudy. I hope it stays clear because I want to get this axle painted today and under the Jeep tomorrow. Fallon has never sandblasted before, but he's working well. He will also do his hitch today. I need to go to town for primer and paint. can't believe I'm out, unless he wants to paint it something other than black. His final paint choice is OD green. Gray or tan axles probably wouldn't look too good with that.

Fallon sandblasting his axle. XJFever was correct in it being a 3.55. Thank you, Fever. You are right-on.

For kicks and giggles, what do the metal tags mean?

Cameron is my youngest, and he has a friend over. I told them to spread the play sand in the driveway to dry. I can see that will take longer than expected!

And Clay's spare 33" wheel next to the XJ. That is our goal.
cimg0097_1.jpg

cimg0099_1.jpg

cimg0100_1.jpg

cimg0101_1.jpg

cimg0111_1.jpg

cimg0115_1.jpg

cimg0116_1.jpg

cimg0102_1.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #117
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Phew. Looks like hot work! I picked up an overtime shift today. As you can see, working hard in the heat. The door stop happens to be the perfect height for my feet!
image-3302521030.jpg

image-3500792521.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #118
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

HAHAHAHA! That's awesome! GREAT picture. I used to work for Wheeled Coach.... a LONG time ago, building the cabinets in the modulars.

Unread 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #119
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This is a link to the other thread. Don't know if it will let me post it??

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/fal...thread-178158/

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #120
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are moving right along. Fallon seems to be getting it from the looks of it

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.