Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #76
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
And I forgot to say God is Good.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #77
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It has been awhile since we have done anything on Fal's XJ. Since getting the 4.0 completed in Clay's 5, and getting my 7 to the point of being a dependable DDer, I pulled the donor XJ into the shop. My plan is to create a Bastard Pack spring lift using the springs from the donor and S-10 springs I bought some time ago. The following pics are of Fallon removing the complete rearend. He is not adept with tools yet, as he turned 14 this month, but I am proud of his accomplishments today. I only had to get under the car a couple of times to help him out. Here's the pics...

Pulled and pushed into the shop with my tractor. This is a '97.

Fallon getting things ready.

Showing how the jackstands are placed and the overall condition of the patient.

Other side...

Front.

A picture of what I WISH I was working on! Wifey says I need to sell it... that I'll never get to it. Meh... maybe.

This is the front spring hanger bolt.

And the rear spring hanger bolt. We have to remove the hitch before we can get these bolts out.

Removing the last hitch bolt. The hitch frame would not allow a straight-on shot with the socket. I ended up using a grinder to remove the interfering weld. The whole time fine sand was sifting out of the bottom of the Jeep.

Once the hitch was removed we were able to get to the hanger bolts. My POS impact would not break them loose. So much for Harbor Freight crap! We had to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and cheater.

I'd like to know the story behind this!!

I left Fal for a bit and came back out to find he had removed the wheels! He was supposed to be removing the shocks. I should have removed those first, but I didn't think about it. The shocks held the axle weight, and he struggled pretty hard to get them off! But he prevailed and the axle is out.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I will have pics of the bastard pack. Mom came home with pizza, so we knocked off for the night!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #78
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

After pizza and a movie I was pretty stoked about all the work we got done today, and I was still in a work mode when everyone else went to bed. So I ambled back out to the shop to try my hand at creating a bastard pack. The axle was removed earlier and was sitting on the shop floor. I didn't show how to remove the springs from the axle. If you're a Noob, and you need this kind of help, just ask.

I took one of the XJ packs to the table and began to break it down. Here are the pics...

Clamped up and getting ready to disassemble it.

Center bolt removed. I used a pair of vice grips and 13mm wrench.

Getting ready to remove the spring clamps. I used a hammer and chisel to bend down the tab, then slightly bend the clamp for removal.

XJ pack spread out on the floor. What does the little helper spring do??

This is a comparison of the XJ spring pack (top) and the S10 pack (bottom). Pretty significant difference in arch.

This is the S10 pack on the table. I'm preparing to remove the clamps holding the springs. I'm not sure this is a good idea!? But I'm a first-timer, and I'm ignorant!

Ground down the head of the rivet.

Popped clamp off with a chisel.

Notice the center holes don't line up. I'm not looking forward to drilling the new holes!

Figuring out how I want to position the S10 main against the XJ main. Again, notice the differences in the arch.

After determining where I want to cut the S10 main, I marked it with chalk so I would remember the orientation.

Marked it and clamped it in the vice.

A cut off wheel makes quick work. Take your time.

Ground the edges slightly to remove burrs and snags.

Figuring out which leaves to use and how they should fall upon each other. Remembering what everyone else has said about alternating S10 and XJ leaves, ride quality (stiffness), finished lift, etc, I really don't know how this is going to finish up. I ended up using all the S10 leaves with the idea it would keep its arch longer than the XJ leaves. I did NOT use the S10 helper spring, but I guess I could before I am done. Do I need a helper spring???

Clamped together. When clamping the leaves together you sort of need to push with your hands to make the ends extend/compress evenly at both ends.

This is a comparison of the other XJ pack and the new bastard pack I made. The BP is tilted due to the C-clamps. There is more arch than what is evident in the picture.

We'll do the other one tomorrow. We'll also attempt to make our own shackle relocation brackets. Have welder, will travel!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #79
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This morning is not starting well....

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #80
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Recaptured this afternoon and made it productive. A trip to Lowe's for DeWalt brand Cobalt drill bits in 3/8. They are ~$12 a piece. I bought 3 of them. Supposed to be "The Bomb" for drilling hardened steel. We completed drilling the new center bolt hole with 2 of the bits. That finished the first spring pack. The second pack was haunted or possessed, or both! Two bits broke off in the second pack, the third dulled. We didn't get it done, but Mom is on the way to Lowe's to get us more bits. Here are the pics. The first ones are Fallon finishing up the pack I put together last night. Then he takes over and builds the second pack while I watch with my feet kicked up!

Fallon has just completed drilling the center hole.

Here he is testing the center bolt fit.

Here is a comparison of the completed bastard pack next to a factory XJ pack. My wife walked into the room and asked why I didn't simply install the S10 spring pack on the XJ?? Would that have worked? I didn't investigate it... assumed it had to be done this way...

This is where Fallon started working on the second XJ spring pack. He is removing the clamps.

Now he is removing the center bolt. Once he finished that he disassembled the XJ spring pack, then started on the S10 pack.

Grinding down the head of the rivet on the S10 spring pack.

Using chisel and hammer to remove spring clamp.

Marked 2" from center of spring eye on S10 main leaf. This will be removed.

Fallon is using a square to make a perfect cut line.

I really expected Fal to wander a bit with the cut off wheel, but he actually made acceptable cuts at both ends.

We disassembled this S10 spring pack with more care than the one I did last night by myself. Of course, you SHOULD improve in techniques as you work more with a new material. We were able to not damage the rubber portions of the spring clamp. They were completely removed and then installed over the XJ main. They look good, and they're effective. They will be welded back up. Showing how they went back on...

Ready for drilling the center hole. And this is where we left off with broken bits. Waiting on Honey to return...

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #81
1983 CJ7 

Nice work guys!

Now I am confused, are ya'll building the red jeep or the gray jeep?
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #82
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Nice work guys!

Now I am confused, are ya'll building the red jeep or the gray jeep?
Building the gray Jeep. Robbing parts off the red one to install on the gray one. I can build the spring packs and install them right on the gray Jeep, minimizing the amount of time it is down. In case we need to drive it for some reason or other...

Now I have to figure out how to get the red one out of the shop and on a trailer (going to the scrap yard) without a rear axle!

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #83
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The BP springs are done. I still have to build the shackle relocation brackets... we haven't started them yet. I have no idea how much lift we'll get. What do ya'll think? Maybe 3"?? 4"?? Here is a pic of the completed packs. I still have to tack weld the rivet head on the spring clamps. Included is a pic of the spare C8.25 I will keep in case needed. Gearing is unknown. And a pic of the drill bits I used to drill the leaves.

BP springs are done. Waiting to be welded at the spring clamps.

A couple pics of the rearend. Is there anything unique about it? I know nothing about XJs!

And finally a pic of the bits I used to drill through the clamped spring packs. These did great for about a third of the pack. Maybe my homemade cutting oil was too light... don't know, but I ended up having to sharpen my last bit twice to get it through the helper spring. Surprisingly, the little helper spring was the hardest of all to cut through.

Next up, relocation brackets.

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #84
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Your silence is ominous!

Unread 08-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #85
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Hey buddy. I will have to do something next summer with my suspension. When I get it on the road in a few weeks I'll see how it drives, but I saved anything and everything from the chassis down for another stage. As such, my axle assemblies, springs, steering linkage etc. is yet untouched. Sooooooooooo...

I will definitely want to know how this one turns out. I was also reading Dave's questions about the YJ setup. I will obviously need to keep economy in mind, but I do want a nice ride, and probably a little lift- eventually the 150 will go as well, and I'll wanna stuff some 33's under there.

I like the way they turned out Scott, but as usual my technical knowledge and practical CJ experience is about ZERO here.

Looks good to the untrained idiot eye!

BTW -the only thing I see wrong in those pics is Fal's ugly shirt!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by WNC-84CJ7; 08-25-2013 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Good natured ribbing
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #86
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Nice job with the bastard packs. I think you did pretty good there.
I had a lot better luck with smaller diameter steel bits the last time I drilled holes in leaves and after trashing a few 5/16th bits, I ended up drilling pilot holes with steel cutting bits and using masonry bits for the final sizing. Amazingly enough, they did much better.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #87
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Hey Scott, the BP springs look pretty good to me, but again, I know next to nothing about that kind of setup.

As far as your question about putting the S-10 springs straight under the jeep, you have already pointed out that the centering bolt was in a different location. That would have put your axles in different locations unless you re-drilled that hole. As it is, you're alredy done with it, and there is no point second-guessing yourself now.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #88
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Hey buddy. I will have to do something next summer with my suspension. When I get it on the road in a few weeks I'll see how it drives, but I saved anything and everything from the chassis down for another stage. As such, my axle assemblies, springs, steering linkage etc. is yet untouched. Sooooooooooo...

I will definitely want to know how this one turns out. I was also reading Dave's questions about the YJ setup. I will obviously need to keep economy in mind, but I do want a nice ride, and probably a little lift- eventually the 150 will go as well, and I'll wanna stuff some 33's under there.

I like the way they turned out Scott, but as usual my technical knowledge and practical CJ experience is about ZERO here.

Looks good to the untrained idiot eye!

BTW -the only thing I see wrong in those pics is Fal's ugly shirt!
It's ironic that after building a CJ from the ground up that I am starting completely over again in the XJ world. The CJ experience doesn't help with XJs. I have to learn everything new! You will get it Chris. You have the skills. Ugly shirt?? What ugly shirt? Least it ain't purple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
Hey Scott, the BP springs look pretty good to me, but again, I know next to nothing about that kind of setup.

As far as your question about putting the S-10 springs straight under the jeep, you have already pointed out that the centering bolt was in a different location. That would have put your axles in different locations unless you re-drilled that hole. As it is, you're alredy done with it, and there is no point second-guessing yourself now.
You and me BOTH know next to nothing about this stuff! But I will when I get to the end. And a very dang good point about the centering hole on the S10 springs being different. An obvious point that I totally overlooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Nice job with the bastard packs. I think you did pretty good there.
I had a lot better luck with smaller diameter steel bits the last time I drilled holes in leaves and after trashing a few 5/16th bits, I ended up drilling pilot holes with steel cutting bits and using masonry bits for the final sizing. Amazingly enough, they did much better.
Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the input. It's weird building stuff when you don't know if it is good or not! I think they look cool, though, and I made 'em! No big deal to most of you guys, but my first time. I just stand there and stare at them! I bought a couple masonry bits to drill with as I have heard that they work well. They were Bosch brand and pricey! But they wouldn't chuck up in my drill press due to the flutes on the drill shank. I guess they were made for a Bosch hammer drill??

Unread 08-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #89
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Those spring packs look good! I'd put them under my rig

That pic of Fallon getting thing ready, with the catalytic converter on the cowl reminded me that I need to find a cat for my CJ...
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #90
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Those spring packs look good! I'd put them under my rig

That pic of Fallon getting thing ready, with the catalytic converter on the cowl reminded me that I need to find a cat for my CJ...
You want that one?

Tags
4.0l , bastard pack , body repair , injector swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.