Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #61
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Nice parts cache. Might as well snag the roof rack crossbars, I don't think you can have too many. Good seatbelts seem to be an often sought item as well.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #62
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Nice parts cache. Might as well snag the roof rack crossbars, I don't think you can have too many. Good seatbelts seem to be an often sought item as well.
Thanks, Chris. Yep... seatbelts will also be saved. Fal's are in rough shape. I have plans for a homemade roof rack. I pulled Fallon's factory rack off already. Let's hope I actually stay true to my plan. I changed up a LOT when I did the 5!

I pulled the pass door off the donor XJ. It does fit the '90, but WHAT A PITA!!! The wiring harness is a nightmare! How'n the heck do you get all the wires out of the door? I thought there would be a plug, maybe inside the door, or behind the kick panel, but it isn't evident. What am I missing?

So I pulled the interior door panel off, wondering if IT would fit the '90? And it does, but the mounting points (screw holes) are different, and the terminal plugs in the door harness don't coincide. Since his driver's side interior door panel is rotted out I thought changing panels would be an easy fix. I'll check the Haynes and see if I can figure out which wires do what. Maybe I can cut and splice?? Anybody have any experience with changing panels?

Is the motor for electric mirrors inside the mirror body? I was thinking it was in the door.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #63
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

All of my XJ's are pre-97 so my helpfulness with your current endeavor is limited to mostly speculation.
Somewhere I got the notion in my head that there might be a models difference in the door latch pin placement.
I think the guys who at times run doorless make their own plug setups for the door harness and since if you'll be splicing anyway, plugs would facilitate any future door work. I've never had electric XJ mirrors and thought the control motors were in the mirror, but admittedly the mirrors aren't very big.
By now you may have already found your answers. If nobody pops up with definite answers for us, you'll have to let me know whay you find out.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

update?
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #65
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Dog! Long time, no see!! We are in the midst of a dependable vehicle crisis at the moment. We had the front clip off Fallon's XJ, getting ready to cut the front fenders and fab up a front bumper when my truck tranny went out. So we had to throw his Jeep back together to actually drive! It's ironic that the $1000 Cherokee is dependable while the F150 and Astro van are crapping in the driveway! Astro is in the shop at the moment, and Clay's Jeep is getting a 4.0 swap. Truck got a new Jasper tranny. So nothing is advancing on the XJ for a bit, using it as a DD, until Clay's 5 is back on the road and the Astro is repaired. Three drivers and one legal driveable vehicle. When it rains, it pours!

But don't go away....

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #66
ShowMeGuy
1966 CJ5 

I like the look of the XJs when lifted up with some bigger tires.... Keep the progress up.
ShowMeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #67
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, SMG. We have been sitting on "G" with the XJ, but waiting on "O"! We should be done with another son's 5 shortly, and then we will concentrate on the XJ. Thanks for checking in.

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #68
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Hey Skerr, I just wanted to drop in and say that I've finally caught up with this thread as well. I've followed Clays thread all the way through, as well as yours. Even though I don't spend much time outside the CJ forum, I thought I'd pop over here and watch Fallon build his so-called 'Jeep'...
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
Hey Skerr, I just wanted to drop in and say that I've finally caught up with this thread as well. I've followed Clays thread all the way through, as well as yours. Even though I don't spend much time outside the CJ forum, I thought I'd pop over here and watch Fallon build his so-called 'Jeep'...
The 4.0 swap is done, and I think we finally chased all the Gremlins out of Clay's 5. Unfortunately, they seem to have settled in my 7! It has not been a good Jeep Day!! I think in another week we should be ready to start pulling the XJ apart. Unless God has other plans...

Thanks for checking in Scout.

Unread 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #70
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks, Chris.

Is the motor for electric mirrors inside the mirror body? I was thinking it was in the door.
motor is in mirror, behind glass
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #71
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, Racer. I donated the mirrors to another XJ owner, along with window motors. I was hoping the XJ owner who got the stuff, and is a co-worker, would have had the presence of mind to offer me a better deal on a particular gun he is selling. But he didn't. And I asked. And suddenly my benevolence was growing short, as I wedged pieces of wood up under the window glass to keep out the rain. Two window motors, both electric mirrors, driver's door panel, steering wheel... I wasn't going to use them so I am not out anything. Just principal.

Unread 08-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #72
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks, Racer. I donated the mirrors to another XJ owner, along with window motors. I was hoping the XJ owner who got the stuff, and is a co-worker, would have had the presence of mind to offer me a better deal on a particular gun he is selling. But he didn't. And I asked. And suddenly my benevolence was growing short, as I wedged pieces of wood up under the window glass to keep out the rain. Two window motors, both electric mirrors, driver's door panel, steering wheel... I wasn't going to use them so I am not out anything. Just principal.
Yeah. well some people don't understand that the world is round (not just physically). there is one who gives and takes away, may he bless you
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #73
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Somehow I didn't even know you had this thread you blockhead. I am really looking forward to building something with/for Abby. Hopefully I'm not too old, broken, and handicapped to do one with/for Kate. They are almost ten years apart. If God lets me go that long, I'll be 54 when she turns 17.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #74
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Somehow I didn't even know you had this thread you blockhead. I am really looking forward to building something with/for Abby. Hopefully I'm not too old, broken, and handicapped to do one with/for Kate. They are almost ten years apart. If God lets me go that long, I'll be 54 when she turns 17.
Chris, Fallon just tuned 14. We have two years to get his build completed. I won't make the same mistakes I made with Clay's 5, starting his build too late. The plan for Fal is to be done, done when he is 16 and able to drive. You can do the same thing. And what's up with 54?? You blockhead!

Unread 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

And I forgot to say God is Good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.