Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #46
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I realize I am jumping around a lot, but have you ever been in a candy shop with clear bins of candy all around you, and all you have to do is take a scoop out of each bin?

I am showing the factory overhead consoles from our '90 XJ and a ZJ, which I stupidly did NOT check the year. I think I like the looks of the ZJ console better... it is more rounded and modern looking, cleaner by my thinking. The ZJ console has a larger display window too. I can put DC voltage to the ZJ console and make all the lights work, but I can't get anything out of the display. Same story for the XJ console. I would like ya'll's opinion on which console to use, and how to make them work again.

ZJ Pros...
Bigger display
Nicer appearance
Newer

ZJ Cons...
Needs to be modded to fit.

The XJ wiring has nearly TWICE the wires as the ZJ console. I don't know what to use. Anybody have any experience with this?

I need a source for a wiring diagram for the overhead console. My haynes doesn't go into enough detail.

Thanks

img_0081_1.jpg   img_0082_1.jpg   img_0083_1.jpg   img_0085_1.jpg   img_0087_1.jpg  

img_0088_1.jpg   img_0090_1.jpg  

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That " ZJ " console appears to be what chrysler fitted in my '97 update XJ.

... and some wiring will most likely be OBDI / OBDII computer dependant.

Pink wires should be the map lights.

The little plastic bubble you circled in the pic ... should house the receiver for the keyfobs.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
grim626

1989 XJ Cherokee 

that little black eye is for keyless entry

‎ ._____________
/___/_|___\____\,
[/---\.____./---\]uIIIIIu]
(o)_)=o=)_ (o)_)=o=)_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos37 View Post
(if u can see the top of ur jeep its not tall enough)
grim626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #49
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim626 View Post
that little black eye is for keyless entry
Thanks, Grim. I had no idea this Jeep had that option. We didn't get a fob with the Jeep. Pink wires def for lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
That " ZJ " console appears to be what what chrysler fitted in my '97 update XJ.

... and some wiring will most likely be OBDI / OBDII computer dependant.

Pink wires should be the map lights.

The little plastic bubble you circled in the pic ... should house the receiver for the keyfobs.
Thanks, Carves. I will read up on OBDI and OBDII. I don't know what it is... really! And thanks for the reminder about the FSM. I saved it to my computer, but I never even thought about it! I will endeavor to increase my proficiency!

So a '97 era ZJ console then??

I did find a few threads on converting the ZJ console to an XJ. It just might be beyond my skill level, or at least my interest. I will post up some pics of my discoveries this afternoon.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #50
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Skerr, most of the time when the fuel pressure quickly goes away after turning off the engine it is either from a leaky injector, stuck open drains into cylinder and seeps into oil, or from a bad check vavle in the fuel pump assembly. I assume it has a long crank time before starting, if so you can turn the key to on and listen for the pump to stop priming, then off and on again and wait until it stops again, then it will usually fire right up.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #51
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Skerr, most of the time when the fuel pressure quickly goes away after turning off the engine it is either from a leaky injector, stuck open drains into cylinder and seeps into oil, or from a bad check vavle in the fuel pump assembly. I assume it has a long crank time before starting, if so you can turn the key to on and listen for the pump to stop priming, then off and on again and wait until it stops again, then it will usually fire right up.
I definitely have a leaky injector. It is quite visible. I read up on it last night, so I have some insight. I had not thought about the excess fuel going into the oil, and I will check that. My Haynes shows how to test for the bad components of the MPI system. I'll get to that when I get a little more serious about this build. It does have a bit of a long crank time, even when hot. I turn the key on and listen to the pump and repeat, but the pump does not run a second time, which is interesting, considering how quickly the pressure bleeds off when the gauge is installed.

Fuel is very low... it would be a good time to the drop the tank. I'm just not ready to park this thing in the shop yet. I have to get my 7 done and out of there.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #52
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That ZJ console is the same as my 98 XJ. Id say go with that one. I agree with the cleaner more modern look. I wonder if you could use the connections from the XJ console on the ZJ one.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #53
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

ZJ Pros...
Bigger display
Nicer appearance
Newer

ZJ Cons...
Needs to be modded to fit.

The XJ wiring has nearly TWICE the wires as the ZJ console. I don't know what to use. Anybody have any experience with this?

I need a source for a wiring diagram for the overhead console. My haynes doesn't go into enough detail.

Thanks
Thanks for posting the pics - now I want an overhead console
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #54
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJeep View Post
That ZJ console is the same as my 98 XJ. Id say go with that one. I agree with the cleaner more modern look. I wonder if you could use the connections from the XJ console on the ZJ one.
Bomber... I found a thread on another forum showing how to do the conversion, but it is mostly Greek to me, and I'm not sure I will catch on to it. It was noted that the Dodge Caravan has the same console, and you should stay close to the same MFG year to avoid install problems, like a conversion. Since I am not in a hurry I think I'll do a little more investigating in that area. Maybe I can find one in good shape that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Thanks for posting the pics - now I want an overhead console
Racer... Sorry Dude! Adding an OH console doesn't take a great deal of skill, but you need to secure the parts. Your XJ is already wired for it. You can get the parts from a donor at the JY. Be advised, the '90 model (and maybe some others) had an inherrent problem with electronics. Although they usually lasted for 18 to 20 years before they died! So pretty good service overall. See below pics for the problem.

I started to document how to take apart the console for reference pics for anyone interested, but then I found that the circuit board in our console is fried. So no point in showing those pics. Below are the pics of the typical problem for '90 XJs and their OH Console. If yours died it is probably this! Here is an NAXJA thread about it...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057433

It is apparently unfixable. So if you're shopping for an OH console try to check if for this problem before you lay out the cash for it. Also, here are the pics of the plug differences. The ZJ uses the little red plug, and the XJ has the big plug with all the wires. There could be OBDI and OBDII incapatabilities, depending on years. And I don't know those years... so be advised. I didn't save the thread where it actually shows the pics of the conversion as it was obviously done by someone with electronics background. Very confusing to me!

Fried circuit board and plugs...
img_0101_1.jpg   img_0099_1.jpg   img_0106_1.jpg   img_0107_1.jpg  

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #55
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Things accomplished...

-Removed front bumper and factory fog lights. Harness is good and electrical signal is present. Fogs come on with Hi-Beam only (they will not be used again, one has bad bulb). Didn't know we had a headlight delay!!
-Determined the ZJ OH Console is a '96. Definitely OBDII (which I read up on) and definitely NOT compatible with OBDI (OBD means On Board Diagnostics- I didn't know that!)
-Changed out the side view mirrors on Fal's Cherokee today. Discovered DS door panel is toast. Anybody ever make a new panel? It is heavy cardboard. Would masonite be too thick?
-Figured out how to remove the interior door pull (inside door handle). You have to remove the screws then rotate it 180* to pop out the upper mount. That was a head scratcher!

I'm not a chrome man, but I do like the way this XJ looks with the paint, trim, wheels, and chrome grill, bumpers, and side mirrors. The DS side mirror is busted so I snagged a couple at the JY. There are no chrome mirrors available, and I can't see any way to swap the actual mirror surface to the busted chrome one. So we nows gots black-uns! They will have to be pulled for painting, but we're not at that stage yet

Fallon is removing the door panel and the mirrors. This is his first venture into the automotive world, and I get to be his Teacher! That's cool, but the Teacher is supposed to know how to do it! NOW I know...
cimg0312_1.jpg   cimg0313_1.jpg   cimg0314_1.jpg   cimg0315_1.jpg   cimg0316_1.jpg  

cimg0317_1.jpg  

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #56
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

After ALL of the reading. After COPYING the list. After ALL of the trips to the JY. After ALL of the injectors I have pulled. After the BUSTED knuckles disassembling engine parts. I STILL don't have the right, stinking injectors! Even after pulling the injectors from a '92 XJ, they are DIFFERENT! All I wanted to do was replace the leaking injector. The upgrade comes later. SO! I replaced the leaking injector on Fal's motor this afternoon using a different model. No idea if it is the same flow rate, PSI, or what... but it doesn't LEAK!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I win.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #57
PacificEd
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Googled those today to see what they are about. I came up with an RC kit for a little over $100. I thought the price was pretty reasonable. RC's website has an install video, which I watched. The relocation brackets look pretty simple! I'm wondering if I can just make them?? I probably have enough stock in the shop to do it, IF I can get it right.

Is there a complete bushing kit that everybody likes?
I used the current HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocation kit. It bolts right in and is much stronger than the RC kit. I used a shackle from a 1994-2001 Dodge Ram with it as it is slightly longer than the stock shackle.

Ironman Off Road Fab is coming out with a new set that looks pretty good too.

I run 33/1050R15 tires and here is what I used for a lift: I bought the RC 4.5" spring lift with full rear packs. I had to trim the fenders for the BFG KM2's at the time. Later I added the shackle relocation brackets and Dodge shackle which required raising the front with some 1.75" spacers to even it out. If I had done all lift mods I wouldn't have needed to trim and could have left the stock flares in place.

Now I added a Currie Currie-Link steering setup to my combo and a JKS trackbar as the RC kit doesn't address these areas.

My XJ is driven to and from the trail and the suspension mods I chose have worked well for me. Maybe this will help you.
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #58
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
I used the current HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocation kit. It bolts right in and is much stronger than the RC kit. I used a shackle from a 1994-2001 Dodge Ram with it as it is slightly longer than the stock shackle.

Ironman Off Road Fab is coming out with a new set that looks pretty good too.

I run 33/1050R15 tires and here is what I used for a lift: I bought the RC 4.5" spring lift with full rear packs. I had to trim the fenders for the BFG KM2's at the time. Later I added the shackle relocation brackets and Dodge shackle which required raising the front with some 1.75" spacers to even it out. If I had done all lift mods I wouldn't have needed to trim and could have left the stock flares in place.

Now I added a Currie Currie-Link steering setup to my combo and a JKS trackbar as the RC kit doesn't address these areas.

My XJ is driven to and from the trail and the suspension mods I chose have worked well for me. Maybe this will help you.
Thanks, Ed. That sounds awesome. Do you have any pics of your rig? I would love to see it. I run the same size tire on the 5, and I plan to do the same on the XJ. Do you have any pics of your trim job?

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #59
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I haven't had anything to report on our project. The S-10 spring packs are laying on the corner of the driveway, where I put them the day I brought them home! The only positive thing to report is the odd injector I installed it working quite well, and the Jeep is very driveable.

I need some input, however. I have an option on an early 2000 model Cherokee Classic. It has no drivetrain. Only axles, suspension, complete body and interior. All of these are in very good condition. It has the C8.25 axle and a disassembled auto tranny in the back. I can get it for $200, no title. Is there any reason for me to get this Cherokee? I'm sure body panels are not compatible to a '90? I specifically need the cowl under the windshield, but it is spot welded in place (ours has serious rust).

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #60
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I picked up an '01 XJ Classic today for parts. It has a great body minus driver's side fender, and it is missing the engine. The tranny is disassembled in the back (AW4, I think). This is a 2-whl drive. I will snag the 8.25 for a spare and the seats for my CJ7. I will check to see if the doors will fit Fallon's '90 (they look like they will). If they do it will give him pwr mirrors in addition to windows and locks. Already swapped the visors and got these cool, dimable vanity mirrors! I'll also snag the bearing set out of the steering column... maybe a few other things. Lastly, I'll drill the spot welds in the cowl (metal panel below the windshield) and install it on Fallon's Laredo. This is the last ugly rusted area that needs attention. Then it's going to the junkyard.

Cell phone pics...
0330131158_1.jpg   downsized_0330131104_1.jpg  

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.