Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...SqfPc_vYLXh5Vg Lots of good info in this thread on injectors. Can't wait to see some more from this thread. I followed clay's CJ build all the way through and have confidence that you will do a great job on the XJ as well.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...SqfPc_vYLXh5Vg Lots of good info in this thread on injectors. Can't wait to see some more from this thread. I followed clay's CJ build all the way through and have confidence that you will do a great job on the XJ as well.
Dude, if you followed Clay's build, front to back, you hung in there a LONG time! I appreciate it. You should also know how many mistakes I made!! Already starting with mistakes on the Cherokee. Live and learn...

Thanks for the link. Right off the get-go I see I had some injectors in my hand that might have worked (from the thread)... If you go with a Dodge injector there are a couple that will fit and the Denso injectors that are in some Dodges run really well with even a single pintle nozzle. Now I have to check to see if it was a 4 or 6 cyl engine I pulled these from. I saw a single pintle so I left them laying on top of the engine!

Just for reference... I checkled fuel pressure today.
Renix system, 4.0L, 1990, 227,xxx miles, leaking injectors... 32 PSI with engine running. Pretty much nada with ignition on-engine off.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Injectors ?? Jeeps have injectors???
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #34
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Injectors ?? Jeeps have injectors???
Not YOUR Jeep!!

Glad to have you around MoC. What took you so long? This will be epic!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I went back to the JY today to see if I could get some injectors from a different donor car. I copied the list of vehicles from the previous link and took it with me. When I asked the JY owner where I could find these cars (mostly Fords) he told me I could not pull the injectors! He said he has too many with good motors, so they were off limits. He told me to stick with the Chryslers. The problem with that is there are no donors cars. So I went back to the Taurus I pulled the injectors from. I had gone through all the work only to find that they were a sinle pintle injector, so I left them there. After reading one of the links posted above I learned that the Denso single pintle injectors could be very good, and that's what these were, so I snagged them! I'm sure I will have to mess around with fuel pressure (Fal's XJ only pumping 32psi), but that's down the road a piece.

I also went back to the Cherokee section to see what else I could get for ours, and I learned that the JY owner had crushed 4 of them!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! So I am in some seriously slim pickings! I snagged an overhead console from a ZJ and some side mirrors with the adjustable stems from a mid-90s XJ. I also got some better looking visors.

Does anyone know if the ZJ OH console will plug and play? I assume it is a compass? Clock? Everything for $40.

The S10 P/U is the donor for the leaf packs so we can start our bastard pack lift.

Hmmm... pics ain't posting correctly!
img_0077_1.jpg   img_0080_1.jpg   img_0079_1.jpg   img_0063_1.jpg  

Unread 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I don't know why I'm having such a dad-goned problem getting the right injector, but I have just learned that these won't work! I guess I just blank out when I see an engine! I spoke with Bill Johnson, owner of Mr. Injector, and he spent a fair amount of time with me on the phone. He said these injectors will only produce 14 lbs/hr, and they are too light for my application.

So I am plugging Mr. Injector of Idaho. Bill Johnson is very pleasant, knowledgeable, and friendly. He has the rebuild kits and knowledge you might need.

http://www.mrinjectorparts.com/index.html

Mr Injector / Bill Johnson
6280 N Government Way #4
Dalton Gardens, Idaho 83815
208-762-3450

Back to the drawing board.

Unread 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #37
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look in the Budget Builds: What Junkyard Parts will fit an XJ ( or something like that?)

And buy Shackle relocation brackets and longer shackles. Your spine will thank you.

You can get the shackles from a 95-99 Chevy Fullsize truck i believe. Its all in that thread.

And i forgot who makes the shackle brackets but people love them and say how much better the ride and flex is with them.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #38
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Will do Tyler. Thank you, Sir.

Unread 01-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

subbed
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #40
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf0rm View Post
subbed
Thanks for subbing...

S10 spring packs for BP lift... picked up today. $50. I couldn't find any 5 leaf packs.

Is there any reason to save the front/rear chrome bumpers? They will be cut off if no one wants them.
cimg0293_1.jpg  

Unread 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #41
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The other day I bought a fuel pressure gauge so I could know what Fallon's engine was putting out. With the engine warm it was making 32 PSI. I know there are a couple different fuel systems, one that holds pressure and one that has pressure when the engine is running. I don't know which system we have, but I know it doesn't hold pressure with the engine off.

This morning Fal was showing off his Cherokee to his Grandpa (he came down from north GA with a pool table for us... part of a Christmas present). Fal went to start it up and it was skeeting fuel out of the schrader valve. LOTS of gas! The schrader valve apparently stuck open after checking the fuel pressure. I couldn't make it reseat, so I took it apart. I included the pics in case anyone has no experience with this.

1st- showing schrader valve on fuel rail.
2nd- showing gauge connected and current cold pressure, engine running.
3rd- this is the little tool for removing a schrader valve.
4th- inserted into valve... just unscrew it.
5th- what a schrader valve looks like.

Reinstall is the opposite of removal.

DON'T crank down on a schrader valve. Seat it gently with your fingers. There is no trick to this. This is very simple to do, and the only way you can screw this up is if you drop the valve and can't find it!

These are the same valves in tires, well pumps, etc. I see that this valve has a blue gasket. The spares I have for tires have a green gasket. I don't know if they are relative to their application, meaning I don't know if a green gasket can be used on a fuel system. I was able to clean Fal's valve and reinstall, and it sealed properly.
cimg0293_2.jpg   cimg0295_1.jpg   cimg0296_1.jpg   cimg0297_1.jpg   cimg0298_1.jpg  

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #42
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If this turns out like Clay's CJ it will be awesome and a great family bonding experience. Keep it up. Ill be watching this one as well.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJeep View Post
If this turns out like Clay's CJ it will be awesome and a great family bonding experience. Keep it up. Ill be watching this one as well.
Here's hoping, Bro! I am in Square 1A right now. Lots of squares to go!

I am torn between 3" of lift and NO additional major expenses, or 6" of lift for that FREAKING COOL LOOK and extra $$!! I hate these decisions.

I started reading the Haynes manual I bought Fal for Christmas. I learned a bunch already! For example, our fuel system is SUPPOSED to be holding pressure. I think I'll pull the fuel rail tomorrow and see if I can get an Oring kit local. Maybe go back to the JY and get some factory XJ injectors off one of the junkers (if they haven't crushed it).

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #44
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Here's hoping, Bro! I am in Square 1A right now. Lots of squares to go!

I am torn between 3" of lift and NO additional major expenses, or 6" of lift for that FREAKING COOL LOOK and extra $$!! I hate these decisions.

I started reading the Haynes manual I bought Fal for Christmas. I learned a bunch already! For example, our fuel system is SUPPOSED to be holding pressure. I think I'll pull the fuel rail tomorrow and see if I can get an Oring kit local. Maybe go back to the JY and get some factory XJ injectors off one of the junkers (if they haven't crushed it).
Go to 3" lift. Simpler and WAYYY cheaper.

I still say longer shackles are relocation boxes.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #45
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
Go to 3" lift. Simpler and WAYYY cheaper.

I still say longer shackles are relocation boxes.
Googled those today to see what they are about. I came up with an RC kit for a little over $100. I thought the price was pretty reasonable. RC's website has an install video, which I watched. The relocation brackets look pretty simple! I'm wondering if I can just make them?? I probably have enough stock in the shop to do it, IF I can get it right.

Is there a complete bushing kit that everybody likes?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.