Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #196
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I was going to make a run to the JY this weekend and see what I can find. Surely there is a harness/radio in one of the three. I will probably postpone that now since we are having appliance problems tonight. I am pretty confident I can find what I need locally. Worst-case scenario, I will wait until you have 3' of snow on the ground then ask for your help!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #197
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I am now the very proud owner of $350 worth of Ballistic Fabrication parts!. The product looks good. It has been about a month since I ordered. I am NOT happy about that. Now I have to get motivated again. I got USED to walking around a slightly disassembled XJ in my shop doorway!

I have a complimentary BF sticker, with skulls, that goes across the top of the windshield. I also have several small, complimenatry skull stickers from BF. Since we are not into skulls these are available. What's with the freakin' skulls anyway!? If you want them, let me know.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 02-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #198
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We have been very busy these last few months. The Jeeps have just been sitting. I finally got some time, and some motivation, SIMULTANEOUSLY! Fallon and I started assembling the lower control arms, tacking them to gether so we can mock them up. But where in the world is my jack? I need my jack! It's gone. My neighbor borrowed it 2 days ago, and I didn't even know it. So on to something different...

Fallon is cutting out square pieces that will become the brackets at the crossmember.
The pieces are tacked together so they can be made the same size!
The bracket pieces shown are our first attempt and too small (3"X3"). We made them larger at 4"X4".

The rest of the pics are just tacking up J joints to the comtrol arms. I discovered that the RH joints were not threaded all the way through the tube adapter, and I had to chuck them up in the vise and use a big wrench to cut the threads.
img_0098_1.jpg

img_0254_1.jpg

img_0255_1.jpg

img_0249_1.jpg

img_0250_1.jpg

img_0251_1.jpg

img_0256_1.jpg

Unread 02-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #199
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Longarms are installed (mocked-up). I think I will have to make longer tubes! I cut the tubes at 25", with an adjustability of about 2". OA length, without any adjustment, is 34 3/4" from the center of the bolt at the xmember to the center of the bolt at the axle.

How do I figure length for the upper arms?

Here is the xmember roughed out. LA brackets will go at the chalk marks.

Bracket with JJ mocked-up.

This is the bracket that is evolving! I can't believe it has turned into something so complicated and time-consuming.

Here's another view.

Fallon cutting the tube lengths.

Clayton tack welding the LAs together.

Unit is mocked-up under the Jeep. There is MUCH trimming and finishing yet to do. Don't git'cher pannies ina wad!

Fallon connecting the passenger side LA.

Springs are back in place. Trackbar is back in also. I really want to just back it out of the shop, but everything is only tack welded! Must. Have. Patience.

Unread 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #200
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Coolness! Good to see this build coming together. I'm loving the pure custom hand-fabricated truly built not bought aspect of it.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #201
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Coolness! Good to see this build coming together. I'm loving the pure custom hand-fabricated truly built not bought aspect of it.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Reread your first post ... and it seems the build has gotten bigger than BenHur ..

Keep at it ..
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #202
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, Guys. Coming from a couple of XJ experts makes me feel all giddy!! Don't be shy about piping in if you see something painfully wrong! I can say that this has been a heep of learning!

Looking at my donor XJ, it appears that the upper CA mounts, at the axle, are pretty much vertical. I don't have the foggiest idea how to measure this stuff! The length of the upper CA affects the caster?? Does vertical sound about right? Vertical I can do. Vertical is a measurement... right?

Unread 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #203
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I backed the XJ out of the shop just to do it! It was GOOD to see it out in the yard. Here are some pics of where we are. I need help with determining the front axle position. I think I'm close, but I want to more opinions.

Driver's side.

Front.

Pass side.

Here you can see the tire is not centered in the wheel opening. I think it should go forward a couple more inches.

Here is the trackbar and draglink compared. I think this came out well. I lengthened the trackbar, but I don't plan on keeping it. I plan to use an adjustable one. Unless this hits dead-on!!

This is the pass. side coil spring. Notice how it is angled. I think this confirms my lower control arms are too short. Can anyone confirm??

Driver's side coil spring.

This is what it looks like under the Jeep.

And some Jeep sweetness!

C'mon, Guys. I need your input. Thanks.

Unread 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #204
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The trackbar and draglink did come out well and the XJ is looking good!
I totally agree the front axle needs to come forward some.
I've never built a longarm assembly from scratch, so I'm kind of learning from your work here. I'll look around to see if I can find any similar threads about it.

COTY 2009
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #205
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here's someone that's been down the road you're on. Another Homebrew/BootyFab Longarm build.
And he's still active on the forum today. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you bumped his thread to ask questions.

COTY 2009
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #206
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Here's someone that's been down the road you're on. Another Homebrew/BootyFab Longarm build.
And he's still active on the forum today. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you bumped his thread to ask questions.
Holy Cow! After looking at his design I can see my design is WAAAY overdone! Thanks for the comments and thanks for the link. I sent him a PM.

Unread 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #207
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks, Guys. Coming from a couple of XJ experts makes me feel all giddy!!
.. ..... Chris and a bunch of others on the forum likely fall into that category,

.... but you must have me, confused with some other, Carves ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Don't be shy about piping in if you see something painfully wrong! I can say that this has been a heep of learning!

Looking at my donor XJ, it appears that the upper CA mounts, at the axle, are pretty much vertical. I don't have the foggiest idea how to measure this stuff! The length of the upper CA affects the caster?? Does vertical sound about right? Vertical I can do. Vertical is a measurement... right?
Axle definitely needs to come forward a bit ... You don't want the XJ pigrooting around like an 8 second ride, SWB FJ40 or a CJ/TJ ..

I imagine you would also have to factor in where the wheel will be ... on the upstroke at full flex/bump stop position.

According to the, stock spec, info in the FSM,
... Vertical - as a castor measurement ... should be fine,

As long as you are parked in the right direction ... on a 7 slope .. .. ..

Have a squizz at the suspension chapter in the FSM ... and maybe even in the body chapter ... I'm only on a useless tablet at the moment and don't have access to my FSM.

Something I noticed in that link Chris posted, was the cross member mounting comments.
Having the suspension as well as the gearbox mounted on the factory cross member - is going to introduce a whole new level of strains and stresses on the tinfoil unibody, at that point.

.... so maybe some extra mount points/bracing might be in order ..
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #208
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
.. ..... Chris and a bunch of others on the forum likely fall into that category,

.... but you must have me, confused with some other, Carves ..

Axle definitely needs to come forward a bit ... You don't want the XJ pigrooting around like an 8 second ride, SWB FJ40 or a CJ/TJ ..

I imagine you would also have to factor in where the wheel will be ... on the upstroke at full flex/bump stop position.

According to the, stock spec, info in the FSM,
... Vertical - as a castor measurement ... should be fine,

As long as you are parked in the right direction ... on a 7 slope .. .. ..

Have a squizz at the suspension chapter in the FSM ... and maybe even in the body chapter ... I'm only on a useless tablet at the moment and don't have access to my FSM.

Something I noticed in that link Chris posted, was the cross member mounting comments.
Having the suspension as well as the gearbox mounted on the factory cross member - is going to introduce a whole new level of strains and stresses on the tinfoil unibody, at that point.

.... so maybe some extra mount points/bracing might be in order ..
Awwww, Carves... you are so modest.

I have torn the house apart, looking for any and every dictionary I might own, solely to learn the meaning of the word squizz. Alas, I am unsusscessful. But, I suppose I should have a go at the FSM. I really dislike that book, but you do have a point.

Just for clarity, the crossmember is not factory. It is .25" wall 2X4 square tubing. I'm pretty sure you caught on to that, but in case you did not notice.

Thanks for confirming vertical as a measurement!!

Unread 02-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #209
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Googgle ftw

squiz:
Squiz is an open source software services company, founded in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia in 1998. The company produces the enterprise content management system, Squiz Matrix. ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squiz

COTY 2009
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #210
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heh Heh ... Seems a fat typing finger, a useless little wifi tablet thingy, and my accent,
... are causing all sorts of bother ..

Just using the factory crossmember mounting locations ... is what I see as the weak point.

There's no confusing the factory item - with your new one ..

ohhh, and Chris ..... google ftw

...... If, you have a good squiz at all the search results ..

Tags
4.0l , bastard pack , body repair , injector swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.