Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fallon (and Dad) Novice Build Thread- '90 Cherry-Okee XJ - Input welcome!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #151
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

What kind of rims are you looking for Scott?

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #152
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Following along here, I wish I had more useful comments. No breather when spraying that axle?

Lee
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #153
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Those type of compressors are meant for vehicles that have openings at the bottom of the spring perch (Mustangs for example, per my mechanic)...
Ahhh... I never looked in the case when I picked it up. Just assumed it was right. Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Found this page regarding "separation":
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/upp...ration-162152/

As for track bars, probably any adjustable one should work... if you make your own just copy any of the designs on the market and measure your rig to get the basic length.
And you definitely need adjustable control arms! You'll never get the caster or pinion angle set right with stock arms at 6.5/7" of lift. Heck even with adjustable arms you have to sacrifice caster to get a decent pinion angle...
The link put me on to other pages that were even more helpful. Thanks again! Now my head is hurting from the tech reading!! Finding the trackbar measuring points is what is causing me to scratch my head. I was "planning" on welding two trackbars together to make it longer, but now I see drop brackets and adjustable heim joints. I think the heims would be desirable over ball-type joints (stock)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
What kind of rims are you looking for Scott?
Wellll, I'm not really looking for rims. Did I indicate I was? I'm having a brain cramp! I have some rims that are available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Following along here, I wish I had more useful comments. No breather when spraying that axle?

Lee
*chuckle* I was wondering if/when someone would comment about no mask. Since we were outside and on the downwind side we didn't use one. I gave him one initially, but he felt he couldn't breathe with it on. So we took a HUGE breath and held it.

I wish you knew more too, because I need to know more myself! I'm glad you're here, though, and I'm looking forward to any comments.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #154
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

Wellll, I'm not really looking for rims. Did I indicate I was? I'm having a brain cramp! I have some rims that are available...
Maybe I'm the one with a brain cramp. I thought I read in the thread somewhere that Fallon was looking for wheels. I have to confess that I was reading through the entire thread to get caught up.

Moving on, I have a '92 Cherokee sitting here that I plan to pull the motor from for a future head swap into my CJ-5. What's left is headed to the JY. It's got the chrome mirrors, center overhead console, axles, tranny, fuel tank, etc... Need anything at all let me know. I expect to be sending it on it's was in the spring (no time for that project right now).

I'm super glad to hear you got Clay's CJ running tip top. I'd love to do a project like this with one of my kids, but their interest came to a stop after we all built computers from junk scraps. Now all they wanna do is play games

picsart_1380979033858.jpg

Unread 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #155
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Maybe I'm the one with a brain cramp. I thought I read in the thread somewhere that Fallon was looking for wheels. I have to confess that I was reading through the entire thread to get caught up.

Moving on, I have a '92 Cherokee sitting here that I plan to pull the motor from for a future head swap into my CJ-5. What's left is headed to the JY. It's got the chrome mirrors, center overhead console, axles, tranny, fuel tank, etc... Need anything at all let me know. I expect to be sending it on it's was in the spring (no time for that project right now).

I'm super glad to hear you got Clay's CJ running tip top. I'd love to do a project like this with one of my kids, but their interest came to a stop after we all built computers from junk scraps. Now all they wanna do is play games

Attachment 733025
Explain to the kids that the car is operated by a computer!!

My boys waiver from one interest to another. If it is fun or cool then it is IN! Until something else comes along to replace it. We just installed a pool table, and that's what they want to do everyday! That and Airsoft.

If you didn't live on the other side of the Hood I would strip that XJ, BUT... I just don't know when I could find the time to get over there! However, if you have the time and inclination, I could use the chrome side mirrors (if they are decent- Fallon has them and one is busted). I could also use the right, front turn signal lens cover (the yellow piece- his is busted). AND, if you KNOW the overhead console is good, then I would request that too. Typically, the OH consoles fry-out after 20 years or so, and there is no resource for one around here. I was going to just go without.

Let me know what you want for all of that. Again, only if you have the time.

And I will close with this... I don't know what you will really gain from a 4.0 head swap. It seems to me that you will miss the benefit of the 4.0 engine, unless you're going to stroke it. The 4.0 swap into Clay's Jeep has been an eye-opening, miraculous change in performance of his rig. The only way I can think to further enhance it is to have a transmission designed for the rugged use of off-road and still shift like a street machine. His T18 pretty much kills any shifting efficiency. But I completely recommend that swap.

Thanks, Egul...

Edit*- If I had to choose only one item out of my list, I would choose the lens cover! Thanks, Dude.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #156
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:

Edit*- If I had to choose only one item out of my list, I would choose the lens cover! Thanks, Dude.
That figures about right, I busted it when I moved the Jeep out back. I know the chrome trim piece is cracked, pretty sure I got the lens too. I'll double check though and start pulling the mirrors. Is it okay that they are manual? They've each got the little joystick on the inside.

I'm pretty sure the OH console works, the PO was considering keeping it for his 79 Golden Eagle Cherokee but ended up not taking it.

Let's see how much it all weighs in a box. Maybe help with shipping, or not. Like I mentioned, it's headed for the JY. No loss to me if it's minus a couple parts.

From what little I've read swapping the head and manifolds over would give me the multi port fuel injection, which is built on a much more efficient head design. The 258 block would let me keep the low end torque, and my flywheel / clutch could stay the same ( I'd have to use the Hesco CPS kit) . I plan to keep the entire 4.0 HO engine though, in case that plan doesn't work well. Either way I'll keep the old head, manifolds, and carburetor so I can switch back.

I'm headed north on a hunting trip this weekend coming and won't be back until later in the week. Will that be fine on the time frame for those parts?

Unread 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #157
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
That figures about right, I busted it when I moved the Jeep out back. I know the chrome trim piece is cracked, pretty sure I got the lens too. I'll double check though and start pulling the mirrors. Is it okay that they are manual? They've each got the little joystick on the inside.

I'm pretty sure the OH console works, the PO was considering keeping it for his 79 Golden Eagle Cherokee but ended up not taking it.

Let's see how much it all weighs in a box. Maybe help with shipping, or not. Like I mentioned, it's headed for the JY. No loss to me if it's minus a couple parts.

From what little I've read swapping the head and manifolds over would give me the multi port fuel injection, which is built on a much more efficient head design. The 258 block would let me keep the low end torque, and my flywheel / clutch could stay the same ( I'd have to use the Hesco CPS kit) . I plan to keep the entire 4.0 HO engine though, in case that plan doesn't work well. Either way I'll keep the old head, manifolds, and carburetor so I can switch back.

I'm headed north on a hunting trip this weekend coming and won't be back until later in the week. Will that be fine on the time frame for those parts?
Good luck on the hunting trip!!

There is no rush for any of this. I still have to build the longarms, and I have more research to do. Manual mirrors is perfect. The OH console is quite long, and it may not be convenient to ship. Glad to pay the shipping, and glad to pay for the parts/time.

Thank you, Sir.

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #158
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

JIMINY CHRISTMAS! 2"X.250 round tubing is better than $9 a foot! Dang near $200 for a 20' stick. My dealer does not normally stock 2" thick wall, and I would have to special order it. Probably going to go with square. Dealer normally carries it, but he is out of stock at the moment. Why can't I use pipe instead of round tubing?

Unread 10-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #159
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Okay Scott, before I break this thing... Is it held in with clips, hidden screws, or something else?

picsart_1382116288824.jpg

picsart_1382116490093.jpg

Unread 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #160
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Oh, and this is the front passenger turn marker...

picsart_1382116687065.jpg

Unread 10-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #161
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Okay Scott, before I break this thing... Is it held in with clips, hidden screws, or something else?

Attachment 767602
One screw in the front above the rearview, then push the whole thing backward towards the hatch. Or maybe pull it forward?? There is a metal lip that clips/slides onto the headliner body. Then it will fall out.

Quote:
This is amazing! I can't believe I am getting chrome mirrors from Maine! Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

Quote:
Oh, and this is the front passenger turn marker...

Attachment 767634
Par for the course! I'll pass.

Unread 10-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #162
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Picked up the metal for the longarms and crossmember this morning. $109. Not too bad. Planning on 3-linking the front. LOTS of research to do. Anyone that has experience building your own, length, bracket placement, crossmember, etc, etc, etc, I would be deeply in your debt to hear your expertise.

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #163
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

While surfing CL this morning, I found a front and rear axle from a Bronco. OP says front D44, manual hubs, and rear 8.8. Geared in 3.55. Says the axles are in great shape. $200 for the both of them. I wasn't entertaining the idea of axles, but I think this is a good price. I see where some of you have done this swap. I like the idea of manual hubs and the added strength. Thinking hard about it. It shouldn't be much more work to install these axles on the XJ, but what other things will come up... like driveshafts? What do ya'll think? I should pick them up in the morning, unless ya'll scare me off of them.

Unread 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #164
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
One screw in the front above the rearview, then push the whole thing backward towards the hatch. Or maybe pull it forward?? There is a metal lip that clips/slides onto the headliner body. Then it will fall out.

This is amazing! I can't believe I am getting chrome mirrors from Maine! Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

Par for the course! I'll pass.
Scott, PM me the mailing address you want the parts sent to. The mirror glass has some rust specks on it, probably from body panel sanding I think? I figured I'd leave the cleaning to you

Unread 10-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #165
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Scott, PM me the mailing address you want the parts sent to. The mirror glass has some rust specks on it, probably from body panel sanding I think? I figured I'd leave the cleaning to you
Roger that... PM sent. Thank you, Dave.

Tags
4.0l , bastard pack , body repair , injector swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.