Failed inspection for OBD need some help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Failed inspection for OBD need some help!

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
jonesy311c
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Failed inspection for OBD need some help!

I took my 2001 XJ in for NJ inspection today and I failed. I failed for the following reasons:
Overall Readiness Result: Fail
Catalytic Converters: Not Ready
Evaporative System: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors - Heaters: Not Ready

They gave me a little explanation that said:
"Based on information obtained from the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, the system is not ready to determine the status of the pollution control system on this vehicle. To continue with the inspection process, the vehicle's OBD system must be ready for testing upon reinspection. See the owner's manual for information on "OBD/Readiness Driving Procedures" or contact your vehicle service provider."

It passed for everything else. I'm not getting any codes, and everything seems to be working fine. The only light I have on is for the airbag. I spoke with my friend that is a mechanic and he's got no clue. Any help would be appreciated

jonesy311c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fix the airbag issue. A short circuit in the airbag clock spring can back-feed 12 volts into your 5 volts engine computer. That will mess with the computer readiness, and can possibly wreck the computer completely.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
captainmorgan44
2000 XJ Cherokee 

jeeps sure are sensative creatures arent they, i blame chrysler
but on a more serious note, i can second that note get the airbag light fixed
captainmorgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My airbag light has been on for almost 2 years.... i passed inspection in NJ just recently, sorry I have no input on how to fix your issues though.
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
dcampone
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy311c View Post
I took my 2001 XJ in for NJ inspection today and I failed. I failed for the following reasons:
Overall Readiness Result: Fail
Catalytic Converters: Not Ready
Evaporative System: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors - Heaters: Not Ready

They gave me a little explanation that said:
"Based on information obtained from the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, the system is not ready to determine the status of the pollution control system on this vehicle. To continue with the inspection process, the vehicle's OBD system must be ready for testing upon reinspection. See the owner's manual for information on "OBD/Readiness Driving Procedures" or contact your vehicle service provider."

It passed for everything else. I'm not getting any codes, and everything seems to be working fine. The only light I have on is for the airbag. I spoke with my friend that is a mechanic and he's got no clue. Any help would be appreciated
Have you disconnected your battery lately? That will reset your OBD stuff and you will have to drive the minimum amount of distance for it to have enough info to give you the OK.

My car failed for emissions related stuff in Illinois just a month ago. Of course mine was a "fail" and not a "not enough info." I replaced a cracked emissions hose; unhooked and rehooked the battery to turn off the check engine light, drove for 400 miles just to be safe, brought it back and it passed. My airbag light is also on, btw.

If you haven't accidentally(or on purpose) reset the check engine light recently, then it's probably some quirky computer issue that needs to be looked at by a dealer.

I am by no means an expert, btw.
dcampone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
jasonmason147
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Same here, airbag light been on for years. No problems passing inspection....yet.
jasonmason147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, if you cleared a light, you will have to go some distance for the computer to re-learn its emissions protocols and settings based on 02 sensor input.

At least that is what i was told by an inspection shop.
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
jonesy311c
2001 XJ Cherokee 

As for the air bag, I know I gotta get that fixed. I should've noted that it came on after I got water in the truck, so I think I fried that computer.
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
jonesy311c
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I hooked it to the scan tool today and I got a P0455 code. Put a new stant gas cap, and I'm still getting a code. I dont have any loose hoses or anything in the evap that I can see or hear. any clues?
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You have a leak in the EVAP system. Check all the tubing under the hood, and around to the purge solenoid over on firewall pass side. It is next to the accumulator for the A/C. There is a connector to the intake manifold, that can go bad. Check also the canister under the jeep on drivers side rear wheel area. Check the tubing there and up to gas tank. The 0455 is a large leak so it may be easier to find.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
catalytic converter , evap , OBD II , oxygen sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.