factory tint percentage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > factory tint percentage

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
paroxysym
2007 WK 

factory tint percentage

i was wondering what the factory tint was on the newer xjs? im currently fishbowlin' in my 95 sport- i would like to tint it alittle, but not too much like my dodge ctd. just figured id match whatever the factory tint was on the newer ones since it seems dark enough.. thanks for the help gents!

Unread 11-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

go 2.5% limo black tint all the way around!!!!

I think most factory tinting is in the 40 to 50% range for the back and 90% to 80% for the front driver and passenger side windows.

Edit: i think those values provide 50 state legal for the front and in most cases the rear can be any thing
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The stock tint on your jeep is 20%

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
jnance50
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No to hijack - but I've been wanting to tint for some time (to factory levels) - currently my jeep is clear all the way around. The only thing holding me back was I wasn't sure how much this would hind visibility for off-road use. Can anyone comment on how much more difficult it is to see around you off road (at night maybe even) with the factory tint?
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket. -- 4.0H.O.XJ
jnance50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
NickThePyro
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Stock tint from jeep is about 40% if I remember right

35% is the legal limit in most states.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnance50 View Post
Can anyone comment on how much more difficult it is to see around you off road (at night maybe even) with the factory tint?

Ive got 10% all they way around and never have any issues, even at night I just put down the front windows and turn on the KC lights (only 2 bumper mounted) works quite well. But during the day i don't even notice the tint. I'd say go for it, anything lighter would make it that much easier. I wanted 20% but the place was out and we went with 10% much to my concern, but all is well.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my factory tint is 20% the dealer put it on i guess to make the sale more appealing on my 01
Unread 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
BigD 275
1999 XJ Cherokee 

On my 99 XJ, the factory tint is 20%. This is all windows except driver and passenger doors. It is also the "chemical tint" which means the actual glass is tinted. I got 20% put on the driver and passenger door to match.
Unread 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

here are the 50 state tint laws: http://www.tintlaws.com/
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
VinceCarter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just got 20% tints for my front windows and you can't even notice a difference between the front and the factory tints.

I have a 2000 Cherokee and I had the the factories read and they were 24%.

By the way if I have a picture of my Jeep how do I share it on here. It is saved in a folder on my computer......(I know how to do it if it was a web image but not one on my computer...)
18" Vision Wheels Warrior with Nankang 255/55-R18 tires, Borla cat-back exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, Delta H4 Xenon headlights, Alpine CDA-9884 with 2 Alpine speakers, 2 JL Audio speakers, 2 10" MTX Magnum subs w/ Magnum solo amp, 20% tints (front windows) to match the factory tints, Black tail lights
VinceCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
VinceCarter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

edit: I tried on my own and it didn't work any help would be appreciated.
18" Vision Wheels Warrior with Nankang 255/55-R18 tires, Borla cat-back exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, Delta H4 Xenon headlights, Alpine CDA-9884 with 2 Alpine speakers, 2 JL Audio speakers, 2 10" MTX Magnum subs w/ Magnum solo amp, 20% tints (front windows) to match the factory tints, Black tail lights
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

well i have 2.5 limo and it is dark. i did it myself, stupid idea, but it looks ok. at night it is real dark, kinda hard to see from inside. my wife will not drive it now because of that. not sure if that is a bad thing. when weeling. i have lights all the way around then jeep so no big deal. i live in mi. any thing goes accept the front. only 4 in down from top on front doors of what ever tint you want. looks stupid so i tinted the front doors 2.5 also. had it for a year and got a fix it ticket. took it off, got ok by cop, re installed it. just got another ticket the other day. not sure if i will put it back on.
JEEPSFORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
VinceCarter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPSFORUS View Post
well i have 2.5 limo and it is dark. i did it myself, stupid idea, but it looks ok. at night it is real dark, kinda hard to see from inside. my wife will not drive it now because of that. not sure if that is a bad thing. when weeling. i have lights all the way around then jeep so no big deal. i live in mi. any thing goes accept the front. only 4 in down from top on front doors of what ever tint you want. looks stupid so i tinted the front doors 2.5 also. had it for a year and got a fix it ticket. took it off, got ok by cop, re installed it. just got another ticket the other day. not sure if i will put it back on.
Just go with 20%. I don't know what the law is where you live but it is 35% here and 35% is the norm for the fronts so 20% won't attract as much attention and if you see a cop put your window(s) down.
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the stock is 20% for sure! I just had my front window done at 35% the darkest you can go in wa and I also had the rear window done to match the side windows because it had be replaced with a cear windo! it turn out pretty good I think what do you think!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
VinceCarter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got it. That's 20% on the front windows.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.