Factory Fog Light Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Factory Fog Light Installation

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
kycherokee1239
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Factory Fog Light Installation

I have a 2000 XJ Sport. I salvaged a couple of fog lights from the JY and plan to install them. I purchased the factory wire kit from an OEM parts house which I have received. I have upgraded my headlights and am using a harness and relay for them.

Two questions on the factory harness. The first is that it includes the wiring for the high-beam cut off. I am wondering if I can skip that part. I do not live in an inspection state so the fact the brights and the fog lights could be on at the same time is not a legal issue. (I would not run them at the same time)

The second is the harness does not include some sort of adapter which would allow it to plug into the fog light. This adapter is evidently included in the light kit but not the harness kit. Does anyone know if there is a part number for that adapter which would allow me to order it separately from the lights?

Thanks!

kycherokee1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

To your second question, I don't have a specific answer but when I installed mine with parts from the junkyard I found the XJ's with the factory lights have a different wiring harness across the front of vehicle. This is the harness that plugs into the under hood harness right under the air filter box and runs behind the grill to power the headlights. It has pigtail drops to power the lights. I think the harness only cost me $10.
To your first, I wouldn't recommend it - you're apt to forget to turn the fogs off- and my guess would be it might actually be harder to wire. I think the power source to the relay in the PDC is off the low beam circuit.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
kycherokee1239
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I get that I might forget but why would you have bright lights and fogs on at the same time? Seems like it would defeat the purpose. But lets assume I do go ahead and install the cutoff, since I am using a upgrade headlight harness, I am wondering if I would run into the problem of the bright lights staying on. Here is how the FSM says to install the cutoff harness.

19) Remove red jumper from fog lamp switch harness (Item 3) and discard. Connect this 2•way male insulator on the fog lamp switch harness to the 2¬way female insulator on the high-beam cutoff harness (Item 4). The wile colors should correspond ~ black/yellow to Black/yellow black/tan to black/tan.

20) Remove female 2-way insulator from fog lamp switch harness and discard. Locate 2-wayfemale insulator on the high-beam cutoff harness, remove locking wedge, and insert yellow wire previously routed into the passenger compartment from under the hood. Reinstall locking wedge. Connect this insulator with the male insulator on the fog lamp switch harness -yellow to yellow, black to black. At this point, the wiring assembly wJ11 have three (3) Un-terminated wires and one If) ring terminal to install
21) Locate an existing ground screw and install remaining ring terminal.
22) Locate connector to the left of the steering column. Loosen connector for easier access to wires. Locate red/gray wire from cavity D4:
23) Splice and solder and tape red/graywire from the high-beam cutoff harness to this wire. Re-install connector.

24) Locate connector to the right of the steering column. Loosen connector for easier access to wires. Locate the black/yellow wire from cavity 45 and the orange wire from cavity 43.

25) Splice and solder and tape the black/yellow wire from the switch harness to the black/yellow wire• from cavity 45. Splice and solder and tape the orange wire from the switch harness to the orange wire from cavity43. Re-install connector.

26) Connect 4-way switch insulator to the fog lamp switch. Install accessory switches to the new switch bezel assembly to the instrument panel.

27) Secure wire assembly under dash with straps provided (Item 8).
Fog lamps will only work with the park lights or head/amps ON and set to low BEAM the fog lamps will cut off when headlights are set to HI6If.BEAM. The indicator lamp in the switch will only light up if the park lights are ON or head/amps are on low~ BEAM and the switch is ON.

28} Re-connect negative battery cable and test for operation.

29) Re-install center bezel, steering column opening cover, and knee blocker.
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

kycherokee1239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.