Factory crossmember pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Factory crossmember pics

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Factory crossmember pics

Hey all,

I've looked on Google Images and Search but can't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone post a photo of their factory crossmember? My XJ, I think, has an aftermarket but I want to be sure. I am not home right now or I would post an image for those to see what they think.

My crossmember appears to be 3/16" or so, but there is a smaller "arm" coming off it. This looks like its protecting the transfer case. Is that how the XJs came from the factory or is that aftermarket?

Thanks all!

Unread 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm at work, so can't climb under a take a pic, but here's an incidental pic of mine. You can see it back there, what you're describing does not sound like my factory. It has no "arm" coming off it IIRC... Hope this helps. Better pic later if you still need one.

rapidcycler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Those are pics of the draglink and tierod not a crossmember that your red arrows point to.

Last edited by buildin1XJ; 08-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Mis spell
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
pokeyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My 2000 limited has a factory t-case skid plate. It is attached to the craossmember at one end and the frame rail behind the crossmember on the other end.
pokeyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin1XJ
Those are pics of the draglink and tierod not a crossmember that your red arrows point to.
I think he's not intending the red arrows to be a crossmember...hence his incidental comment

When I get home, I'll climb under and snap a photo for everyone to see. I may have some home brew skid under it. I haven't had the XJ long, so I'm learning as I go (had yj's before...).
Unread 08-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyxj
My 2000 limited has a factory t-case skid plate. It is attached to the craossmember at one end and the frame rail behind the crossmember on the other end.
Mines a 98 model, but sounds like yours. I guess it was retro fitted to the 98...?
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
pokeyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Could be a factory skid. Give us a pic.
pokeyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
I think he's not intending the red arrows to be a crossmember...hence his incidental comment

When I get home, I'll climb under and snap a photo for everyone to see. I may have some home brew skid under it. I haven't had the XJ long, so I'm learning as I go (had yj's before...).
hahaha, as soon as I hit "Submit" I knew that would get somebody..lol. Yeah, it's from a thread on here where I was talking about front end alignment. I had taken so many shots under my jeep, thought it was a good chance the crossmember was in there. It's way back in the distance, but all I had available.
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

In the pic above you can see the factory cross member, just the edge of it. There was a similar looking piece that came off the cross member toward the rear at a 45 degree angle which is intended to protect the t/c.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Green outline is the "arm" thats coming off and is attached to the frame on one end, crossmember on the other

Red is the crossmember.

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Green outline is the "arm" thats coming off and is attached to the frame on one end, crossmember on the other

Red is the crossmember.
Mine is a 98 classic, it definitely does not have that.
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcycler View Post
Mine is a 98 classic, it definitely does not have that.
I dont believe that it would matter, but mines a sport according to the build sheet. I know that there has been some work done to it, it left the factory with the dana 35 rear, but has a Chrysler 8.25 rear now. I havent counted the gear ratio yet, so Im unsure if its the factory 3.55 or if it was regeared (I know in 4lo it crawls very slowly) or not.

Basically Im making my mod wish list and want to know what it does and does not have. If this skid works, great, that means I can buy the engine/trans skid and not worry about the extra $$ on a tcase skid. I dont do heavy offroading, so even if this is a factory deal, it may still serve its purpose.

I just get a little paranoid about ripping an oil pan . I plan to skid as much of the bottom as I can, as Im only going 31" tires.
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why worry about it? Leave it in place and have more subframe support as well as protection from rocks and such.At least untill you buy all new under armour.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Red is the crossmember.

thats definately a factory crossmember, and a factory transfer case skid which may have been optional? or came on better models
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin1XJ
Why worry about it? Leave it in place and have more subframe support as well as protection from rocks and such.At least untill you buy all new under armour.
I was just curious if it was factory or not. From what I've read after market skids are typically thicker metal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.