Extracting connectors from relay socket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Extracting connectors from relay socket

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Extracting connectors from relay socket

I'm trying to remove the wire/connector from a relay socket so I can upgrade the wire gauge.
I've read about using a small screwdriver to press down on a TAB on the spade lug, but it's not happening for me
Does anyone know the right way to do this, or a trick?
In the picture, I've circled the opening on the socket where I'm trying to press the tab.
Also, are there special connectors used in relay sockets? None of the female spade lugs in my collection have such a tab.

TIA

relay-socket.jpg  
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I can relate to what you've got going on here.
It's actually a pretty simple latching mechanism once you see it. There's a little stamped-out barb tab on the back of the female lug that's slightly bent outwards so it catches on a small lip or ridge in the socket channel.

A really very small screwdriver would work to slide down the hole behind the lug to depress the tab enough to clear the lip so the lug will slide back out. Baling wire is stiff enough and readily available so I'll often just use a short piece of it. You'll want to push it down in there as far as you can and wiggle it around at the same time as you push and pull/wiggle the wire from the backside to help unseat the tab from the lip. You just need to push that little tab back into the lug enough to clear the lip at the bottom of the hole you push the screwdriver down into. If you go to put the same lug back in the socket, you may have to bend the tab back out slightly in order to get it to catch well on the lip again.

None of my female spade connector current stock has that tab but I remember having had ones that did. Perhaps it's a specialty feature for use in sockets.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

different connectors/pins....
i got a set of these...
terminal tools..
terminalextractors.jpg  
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj40 View Post
different connectors/pins....
i got a set of these...
terminal tools..
I like. I want. Where?

*Edit: Amazon FTW! but in the meantime, baling wire it is.
Lisle-56500-Terminal-Tool
Lisle-14900-Terminal-Tool

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got the wires out. Thanks for the help. Now to find female spade lugs with the tabs...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.