Extended e-brake cable for lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Extended e-brake cable for lifts

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Extended e-brake cable for lifts

My e-brake cables have been stretched since I put my RE 4.5" lift on, and the passenger side was laying across the muffler. It wasn't a problem until I was wheeling a few weeks ago. The exhaust was hot from doing a hill climb and I had to put my e-brake on at the top. When we went to leave, my passenger side wheel was stuck. The clear coating around the cable had melted inside the conduit.

Here was my fix at the time. Luckily I had a hacksaw with me.

So I looked into longer e-brake cables and 91-95 YJ passenger side cables work well. You have to get two passenger side cables for this too work and the calbes have to be from the later years. I went to Advance Auto (autozone doesn't sell them) and ordered 2 '91 passenger side cables and they were in the next day. They were $21 a piece.

Here's the melted cable...

Installtion is relatively easy if you are OK with taking your drum brakes apart. You have to do that to get the cable off the brake shoe lever and push the conduit out of the backing plate. I didn't shoot pics of that process, but just some highlights of the cables under the XJ.

Here is the length difference, almost 20".

Loosened the adjustment. This unloads the springs at the wheel end and makes disassembly much easier, plus you'll need to loosen that nut as far as possible for the new cables to go on, mostly because the new springs are strong.

Here's the old cables. There are small clips that need to be compressed to remove the conduit. I just broke them off with a needle nose plier. The conduit is the same at both ends.

You can see here the brake ends are identical...

My suggestion for the order of install is, rear wheel first (cable and conduit, I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to lightly clamp the spring and cable to the backing plate while I assembled the brakes), then connect the cable ends to the brake handle T connector.

and lastly, insert the conduit.

The reason why is the new springs are strong and it's easier to pull back on the conduit to get it into the retainer, rather than trying to pull on the cable and wrestle it into the holes.

I had plenty of cable now to flex with and it was up out of the way. I zip tied each side to secure it. Passenger side on the rubber isolator for the exhaust...

And the driver's side to a small bracket that was already conveniently there...

The YJ cables are longer overall, but the difference between the actual cable and conduit will make it seem to be 1 1/4" shorter, so you will have to loosen the adjuster by at least that much. Here is what mine looked like after the being adjusted up...You can see there is plenty of room. I saw one website that said you need to extend the threaded portion (3/8" althread u-bolted to the factory thread, using a long nut to butt connect the althread, or welding the althread) but I didn't need any of those. The guy had a 90, so maybe there was a change at some point.

'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance

Last edited by conrasm; 12-01-2006 at 10:22 AM..
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
andrew2516

Nice write up...I'm pretty sure I'll be doing an 8" in the spring and I know my cables won't even come close to reaching. at 6" now it rests on the exhaust like you said, but I haven't seen any problems yet on the trails.
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Great writeup. This needs to go into the sticky.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Stickied!

I had thought I linked the madxj write up, but yours is nice. I love pictures. I've been meaning to do this since the revolver install, I need it badly.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

good write up.. i just did my 6.5" and have an inspection comming up in a few weeks so i'll be getting those..as for now i just cut them like you did because theyve already been a problem

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm
The exhaust was hot from doing a hill climb and I had to put my e-brake on at the top. When we went to leave, my passenger side wheel was stuck. The clear coating around the cable had melted inside the conduit.
Same thing happened to me.

Glad your more motivated than I am and did a write-up.

If I remember correctly the stock lines are around 37" (on my '93) and the YJ lines are around 56". More than long enough for most lifts and flex.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
rayjay
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I totally just did this! Thought about taking pics but was to lazy...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #213

CARS:
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - 213k
1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - 330k
1995 Honda Accord EX w/ H22 Swap - 305k

***Yes I am a girl, but my husband uses this too.***
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running YJ cables on my '95. They're so long I had to cross them over to take up the slack.

'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
andrew2516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
I'm running YJ cables on my '95. They're so long I had to cross them over to take up the slack.

x2
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
newxj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Im terribly jealous, it appears your tunnels/undersides are a lot cleaner than mine. I'm currently installing YJ cables in my 2 door XJ, the length is soooo much!
newxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
aquickmopar
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I need to do this as well. Im gonna soon start adding to my lift and will be at 7.5' to 8' I just ordered my brake lines for front and rear but need to do e-brake. So you said to but 2 passenger side lines from a 91 yj? Or does any year yj work?
aquickmopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.