Exhaust manifold crack symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Exhaust manifold crack symptoms?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
cobra7

Exhaust manifold crack symptoms?

What are the typical symptoms to tell if you have a cracked exhaust manifold, aside from removing the intake manifold and inspecting it? Are there tell-tale signs?

cobra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Easiest way to tell is if you have a "ticking" sound, thus exhaust leak. Also your idle may be a bit iratic, and you'll have a bit of loss in power.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
cobra7

Well, I have a ticking sound when I first start it up until it warms up, then it's gone. My idle surges very slightly by maybe only 50 RPM or so.

I don't know about a loss in power, cause I bought it used only around 4 months ago and it's my first Jeep, so I don't know how much power it should feel like to tell the difference.

Would the ticking occur all the time or just at certain times, like when it's cold? Reason I ask is, I'd love to get a Banks header, and having a cracked manifold would be a great excuse for the wife!

At the same time, I don't wanna spend the money right now if I don't have to, but if it is cracked, I will.
Unread 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
dsarraf

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Are there any visiual signs bsides cracks? Vapor emmsions?
dsarraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Thayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra7
Well, I have a ticking sound when I first start it up until it warms up, then it's gone. My idle surges very slightly by maybe only 50 RPM or so.

I don't know about a loss in power, cause I bought it used only around 4 months ago and it's my first Jeep, so I don't know how much power it should feel like to tell the difference.

Would the ticking occur all the time or just at certain times, like when it's cold? Reason I ask is, I'd love to get a Banks header, and having a cracked manifold would be a great excuse for the wife!

At the same time, I don't wanna spend the money right now if I don't have to, but if it is cracked, I will.
That ticking sound at startup might be your emissions vapor solenoid valve opening and closing. Touch it on your firewall and see if the ticking sound is coming from that, you'll feel it clicking.
[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Lundy

Not certain about the ticking, though my engine ran considerably louder. This was difficult to tell as the problem had been progressive. After the new headers were on though, the reduced engine noise was pronounced. A crack usually appears at the point where the two down pipes converge into one. Check this area when the engine is cold, as once the manifold heats up the cracks will sometimes close up on you. Other than that, the engine may feel a little sluggish compared to what you are used to, though the best diagnosis will be a visual inspection.

If you do have cracks and are to replace the manifold, I strongly recommend the Banks Torque Tube. Their work is beautiful, the welds are clean, and it comes with a great warranty should you ever need it. As for the install, it is relatively simple until you find that one bolt somewhere in the middle of the flange. Try not to get frustrated, just plan on spending some quality time making 1/4" turns with a crescent wrench.

Lundy
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
lma1973

Mine used to tick after it was warm. Also the exhaust was loud but i really only noticed it was loud after i got the new manifold and heard how quiet it was. That and i had SO much more power and the MPGs increased and it ran MUCH better and smoother.
lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
cobra7

Hmmm, OK it sounds like I can inspect for the crack from under the Jeep. I thought I would have to remove the intake manifold to check for it. So that's good. I'll check that out.

I'll check the vapor emissions solenoid to see if that's the source of the clicking I hear. I thought maybe it was a crack in the exhaust manifold and that maybe the ticking stopped because the cracks closed up ones the manifold heated up.

Yes, I planning on getting the Bank TorqueTube header at some point. If my manifold is cracked, I'll get it now. If now, I'll get it later this summer. It does look like a nice piece. My plans are an Airaid TBS, the Banks header and a Flowmaster 40 exhaust.
Unread 03-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
Lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra7
Hmmm, OK it sounds like I can inspect for the crack from under the Jeep. I thought I would have to remove the intake manifold to check for it. So that's good. I'll check that out.

I'll check the vapor emissions solenoid to see if that's the source of the clicking I hear. I thought maybe it was a crack in the exhaust manifold and that maybe the ticking stopped because the cracks closed up ones the manifold heated up.

Yes, I planning on getting the Bank TorqueTube header at some point. If my manifold is cracked, I'll get it now. If now, I'll get it later this summer. It does look like a nice piece. My plans are an Airaid TBS, the Banks header and a Flowmaster 40 exhaust.
You should be able to see the crack from under the hood. Take a look from the driver side of the engine bay, just below the brake fluid resevior. With a flashlight you can usually spot the culprit with no problem.

Lundy
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #10
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy
You should be able to see the crack from under the hood. Take a look from the driver side of the engine bay, just below the brake fluid resevior. With a flashlight you can usually spot the culprit with no problem.

Lundy
what he said can see my cracked junk no prob from there...
Unread 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
cobra7

Great. Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.