The ever-popular blower motor problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The ever-popular blower motor problem.

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
mysavioreigns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The ever-popular blower motor problem.

Hi all, new here. Had hoped to sign up under less stressful circumstances, but here I am.

I've got a 4-day road-trip planned (in 95* weather) and sure enough, the blower motor has stopped blowing. I've lurked here for a long time so I know about the resistor and connector, and all of that was checked/replaced with no issues. The relays and fuses are all okay as well. My guess is, the actual blower motor is kaput.

(edit: I should have mentioned, if anyone cares: the motor will not engage on any setting (1-4) but the a/c compressor is definitely engaging. The resistor and connector were spotless & had no melting, which kind of surprised me).

But, before I shell out $100 for a new one, I want to make absolute sure that this is the issue. Can someone tell me how to check the blower motor? If I recall, I run a lead from the + battery post to the motor, but I'm not sure where to attach, and what grounds need to be run, etc. etc.

Thanks for the help!

mysavioreigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Should be easy, your right ive done it on a pathfinder just pull it out and look at the connections, should be easy to tell where the leads are going... Positive to positive, ground to ground. Run off a 12v power source.. If all is well itll kick in, if not voila
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Take the motor out and visually inspect it. Remove the windshield washer tank and the motor is behind it, 3 screws and its out. In my case, the motor shaft wore through the bushing. It was done for. $26.99 for a new VDO/Siemens brand fan @ autozone.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
tim111762

I'd throw in a new relay just to be sure. Worth the $12. My blower went out and wouldn't run on any setting. Relay looked good other than a little brown around the prongs. Swapped it out a d was good to go.
tim111762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
mysavioreigns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check that Floreancig.

So gs69350, you're saying the fan had become disconnected from the motor shaft? Interesting. I'll take it out and inspect it.

tim111762, I plan on it. The "fan control" relay (in the engine compartment fuse box) was a non-stock relay, so I'm thinking this may have been swapped before. It definitely wouldn't hurt.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a pic of the blower relay (behind glove box), and a pic of your blower circuit diagram:

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

And a pic of the fuse locations in your PDC:

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
mysavioreigns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks CCKen! I did not even think about that relay under the dash (I got it mixed up with the Radiator Fan Relay). Great pics, as well.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysavioreigns View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check that Floreancig.

So gs69350, you're saying the fan had become disconnected from the motor shaft? Interesting. I'll take it out and inspect it.

tim111762, I plan on it. The "fan control" relay (in the engine compartment fuse box) was a non-stock relay, so I'm thinking this may have been swapped before. It definitely wouldn't hurt.
No, the steel shaft wore through the bronze bushing and then in the motor housing letting the armature of the motor hit the magnet, basically, it was completely wore out. I'll snap a pic and post it tonight if I can remember. Not the first time I've seen a blower motor do this. It is very obvious if this is the problem once the fan is out and the squirrel cage removed.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
mysavioreigns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You guys rock, the issue is fixed!

Turns out the relay was burnt out under the dash, as CCKen showed above. $9 and 20 seconds later, it works. Thanks again everyone :-)
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good work.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
pat_ton69
1998 XJ Cherokee 

CC Ken, thanks for posting the picture. I have had the same problem for several years and didn't know where to look. I checked thus afternoon and the spades in my relay appear to be burnt. Went to O'REILLYs and they told me I would have to get a new one from Jeep. Is that right?
pat_ton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_ton69 View Post
CC Ken, thanks for posting the picture. I have had the same problem for several years and didn't know where to look. I checked thus afternoon and the spades in my relay appear to be burnt. Went to O'REILLYs and they told me I would have to get a new one from Jeep. Is that right?
What they say is incorrect. The relay is the same as the other relays like it in the PDC. Just tell them you need a Starter Motor Relay. Just make sure the relay you get is rated for 40 Amps.

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysavioreigns View Post
You guys rock, the issue is fixed!

Turns out the relay was burnt out under the dash, as CCKen showed above. $9 and 20 seconds later, it works. Thanks again everyone :-)
Woot woot!
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
pat_ton69
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Relay didn't fix it even though a few of the terminals looked discolored. Changed the resistor pack and now it works on all speeds. Now on to the
A/C.
pat_ton69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.