ˇEs is no bueno! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ˇEs is no bueno!

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Reply
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
RockRodHooligan
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 5,169
ˇEs is no bueno!

I knew one of the previous owners of my jeep wasn't too kind to it, as evident of the dents in the rocker panels, but it did kind of surprise me to see this, in both door jams.




Stress cracks in the B pilar. Educated guess is this is what happens when you wheel a 2 door hard without strengthening the unibody, not so much of a problem in the 4 doors since they have the extra pilar for the back doors.

Not a big problem for me to fix, just a pain in the butt.

__________________
89 MJ:Project: Ground up
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner


Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,485
It's the missing vents. Those little plastic vents are actually adamantium and provide anywhere from 45-65% of the overall unibody strength in a 2 door.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge | XJ Non-Tech FAQ | Ammo Can Lock Box | Motorcycle Build|

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
It's the missing vents. Those little plastic vents are actually adamantium and provide anywhere from 45-65% of the overall unibody strength in a 2 door.
If that's true,it's a sad Jeep fact.I don't believe that for a second.Think about it
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
If that's true,it's a sad Jeep fact.I don't believe that for a second.Think about it
__________________
|Project Motörcharge | XJ Non-Tech FAQ | Ammo Can Lock Box | Motorcycle Build|

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...
 
ibjeepin95's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 3,958
Damn 2 doors!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
RockRodHooligan
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 5,169
Lol I took the vent off for a better picture. Gonna fix it, I'll take a lot of pictures of the repair process and post them up here.
__________________
89 MJ:Project: Ground up
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner


Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Tan Valley Arizona, AZ
Posts: 7,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
It's the missing vents. Those little plastic vents are actually adamantium and provide anywhere from 45-65% of the overall unibody strength in a 2 door.
There was a TSB where a replacement vent was introduced made from unobtainium.
__________________
AZ-Jeff
1992 XJ 2" lift -- RIP
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
There was a TSB where a replacement vent was introduced made from unobtainium.
Maybe Chrysler should get with the times and get on board with totally unnecessary recalls and replace them with Bolonium vents.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge | XJ Non-Tech FAQ | Ammo Can Lock Box | Motorcycle Build|

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
austin6137
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
I knew one of the previous owners of my jeep wasn't too kind to it, as evident of the dents in the rocker panels, but it did kind of surprise me to see this, in both door jams.




Stress cracks in the B pilar. Educated guess is this is what happens when you wheel a 2 door hard without strengthening the unibody, not so much of a problem in the 4 doors since they have the extra pilar for the back doors.

Not a big problem for me to fix, just a pain in the butt.
My 95 two door cracked exactly like that, check at the back by the hatch in willing to bet its cracked there to. I no long have my two door and I miss it but rust got the better of it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...illiar-692227/
__________________
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.