So I've been working on my cage now for a couple months (off and on) and still am not completely done. In fact I've been on 3 wheeling trips since I started it and then trying to find time to work on the cage before the next trip comes up. But that's my fault, since this was supposed to be my winter/spring project that I procrastinated on.... shoulda done it then, I tell myself...
Anyway I've had so many people ask for pictures, I'm going to go ahead and start this thread, and later on when I'm all done I'll condense it down into a write-up for my website. And as a heads up I am posting this on both NAXJA and JeepForum.
Some basic info:
- Its a "hybrid interior / exo cage" as that seems to be what people are calling these now.
- I'm using 1.5" x .120 wall DOM but I'm using some .095 wall for some of the crossbraces to save on weight. That also helps keep the cost down a little since the price of steel is high. I got most of this (.120 wall) for $3.81/ft.
The first bends:
I built most of the roof section off the Jeep. This made the welding much easier but it was a lot of test fitting after each section.
One would think doing it off the Jeep would be easy, but of course the roof isn't flat, and the perimeter of the roof isn't a perfect rectangle. The rear of the Jeep is slightly narrower than the front, so of course I had to take that into account and make adjustments as I went along.
Here's a feat that I wasn't sure we could pull off. We had to add a few bends to match the curvature of the roof.
Then it was time to drill some holes in the roof.
I decided to leave the headliner in, so after making 100% sure where I wanted the hole to be, I cut the headliner and got lucky. The holes for the B-pillar legs are right where the roof supports are. It would be nice show this without the headliner, but here it is. I then drilled the 1.5" hole from the inside out.
Here's the legs in place for a test fit. What was quite annoying is even with the garage door down I did not have enough room to fit the legs in from the top and they wouldn't go in from the bottom either. So each time I did a test fit I had to back the Jeep out of the garage to get them in or out.