Engine Will not turn/crank when cold? Binds? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Will not turn/crank when cold? Binds?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
pdigiacinto

Engine Will not turn/crank when cold? Binds?

I have a '88 Xj 4.0 that has a cranking issue. It seems to only happen when it is cold outside (temp is below 60-55 degrees). When I try to start the engine, it seems to "bind". The starter runs (plunger comes out), but the flywheel does not turn. I have to try starting it a few times and then the flywheel will finally turn and the jeep starts.

I thought it was the starter, so I put a new one on. That did not solve the issue. The engine has a a slight rapping when cold, and only has a slight rapp when driving. I did not hear the slight rapping in he summer, I only seem to hear it when the temperature is cold outside?

I left the jeep sit for a few days. When I went to start it, it did bind again. After I pushed on the gas pedal, it finall started and sounded like a slight backfire through the carb.

I have nocited that when I come to a stop light, the jeep will starve for gas and konk out sometimes. It starts back up and drives fine. This happens radomally. It will never die when driving, only when stopped or comming to a stop.

I do not think the fuel pump is bad. this has stumped me, since I cannot pinpont wether it is a engine or fuel issue.

Thanks.

pdigiacinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.