Engine temp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine temp?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
ThatGuy57
2003 WJ 

Engine temp?

Ok I have a 98 cherokee and looking around on here i've learned normal operating temp is 210, now if i'm driving around alot it'll climb some, it never goes past the the next line above 210 it usually doesn't even get to the next line and it does eventually cool, i drive a good bit of stop and go traffic and it's in the 80's here. My question is should i be concerned? It also gets to 210 relatively quickly, is that normal? I've had the coolant flushed, water pump does not seem to be leaking and the fan clutch seemed fine so i'm not sure if i'm over thinking things or what. Any suggestions? Also I rarely run ac but i have the interior fan on alot, i don't know if that helps any or not.

Unread 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your temps don't seem too far out of line but then 80s is kinda mild ambient temp also. My thinking is, if I want a vehicle to be my reliable daily driver and it is no longer covered under factory warranty, then the complete cooling system requires preventative maintenance/parts replacement at some point in time. A $5 cooling system component that malfunctions due to age/neglect can easily kill a $4000 motor when u least expect it. I think of preventative maintenance occuring at my convenience in my driveway when the parts stores are open......repairs occur on the side of the road when nobody is open.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
ThatGuy57
2003 WJ 

Well 80s was what my phone says, another temp said upper 90s, so i think it's hotter than i originally said, but while driving the engine temp went back to normal and a little below at points so i'm still a little cofused.
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All new cooling system components may eliminate confusion (and guessing).
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
ThatGuy57
2003 WJ 

Yes, very true, just means more money but oh well haha thanks!
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

New cars come with monthly payments, old cars come with monthly maintenance......takes money either way.
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
ThatGuy57
2003 WJ 

You have a very valid point there, probably should have figured that.
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Bill-Horn
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My 89 XJ rarely overheats. After 255,000 miles with the original radiator, she developed corrosion in the radiator filler neck, above the pressure-cap seal face. When she came up to temp and the pressure release opened, coolant would be lost. I cleaned out the filler neck with a Dremel and slathered JB Weld into the little corrosion pits, then carefully "Dremeled" the opening so the radiator cap would go on snug, yet still allow the relief to open.
That was six months ago and we're still not overheating.

I live and drive in Bala, Mexico where it is regularly over 100F. I'm using a 160-degree thermostat. I use a 50-50 antifreeze mixture, and put a pressure seal on the plastic expansion bottle so the system is 'closed', but do keep an eye on the coolant level in the tank. My normal running temperature is about 180...but there is no absolute calibration on the stock temp gauge. It stays below 210 unless it is like _really_ hot outside, or I am running the A/C. (I usually just keep the windows open so I don't have a heart-attack stepping out of my nice, cool Jeep and into the blazing fury of a Mexican summer day.) With the A/C running she goes a bit above 210 at stoplights, that-is with the engine idling, tranny in "D" and my foot on the brake, but drops back again under way.
Bill-Horn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.