engine swap from 4 cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > engine swap from 4 cylinder

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
distncernr
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 116
engine swap from 4 cylinder

Ok so my engine finally took a dump on me. I currently have the 2.5 4 cylinder in it and want to swap up to the 2.8 V6 cylinder (unfortunately my year doesnt have the 4.0 option, i have a 1985). I was wondering will I need to change my bellhousing or will it be the same for the 6 cylinder? I have the AX5 5-speed manual transmission.

Please let me know and thanks in advance for the help.

distncernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
cbordea
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 734
do you have the 2.8 already? I don't know for sure but seems like I read that the 3.4 v6 that came in maybe the camaro was a much better engine, I don't remember all the reasons why.
__________________
88 MJ I6 4x4 Stock my hauler - Sold
98 XJ I6 4X4 Stock my son's DD
06 12V Purple Barbie Jeep my daughter's DD :-)
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ventura, Carp, La Conchita, CA
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by distncernr View Post
Ok so my engine finally took a dump on me. I currently have the 2.5 4 cylinder in it and want to swap up to the 2.8 V6 cylinder (unfortunately my year doesnt have the 4.0 option, i have a 1985). I was wondering will I need to change my bellhousing or will it be the same for the 6 cylinder? I have the AX5 5-speed manual transmission.

Please let me know and thanks in advance for the help.
I don't know about the trans issues as I had the whole drivetrain, but the rest wil bolt right up if you have the motor mounts for the 4.0, I put a 4.0L in my 85 jeepspeed.
__________________
Blah blah blah blah.

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
cbordea
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 734
I did a search for v6 swap and found a few threads, you might read through and PM some of those guys that have done it if they don't respond here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/e...2-8-a-1159912/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/j...-swap-1170501/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/8...3-4-a-1142876/
__________________
88 MJ I6 4x4 Stock my hauler - Sold
98 XJ I6 4X4 Stock my son's DD
06 12V Purple Barbie Jeep my daughter's DD :-)
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
XJH-007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 4,681
I put a Buick 3.8L in my 84 XJ, in hindsight I would have/should have just sold it and got a 4.0 HO. I was like 18 and had time and no money

All sorts of issues arise upon motor swaps that aren't intended if you have to make it Emission legal, and want it to run right.

Even the 4.0 swap tot he 85 is not an easy one as the front clips are different, not to mention ignition, fuel management, etc.

IMPHO, scrap it and get a newer XJ.

__________________
Scott-Crawlorado Native
I have an addiction.....
*00' XJ_T-n-T Y-Link/6" RE_OME's_33" KM2's
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
distncernr
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 116
Thanks for all the info....so it probably wouldnt be worth all the trouble just to go to the 2.8 V6, not much gained there for all the headache?!?
distncernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
XJH-007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by distncernr View Post
Thanks for all the info....so it probably wouldnt be worth all the trouble just to go to the 2.8 V6, not much gained there for all the headache?!?



The 2.8 was a really problematic motor...it made little IF ANY extra HP's over the 2.5. The 2.5 was still being used as the XJ era came to an end...while the "Turd.8" was only used a few years.
__________________
Scott-Crawlorado Native
I have an addiction.....
*00' XJ_T-n-T Y-Link/6" RE_OME's_33" KM2's
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Flyordie
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by distncernr View Post
Ok so my engine finally took a dump on me. I currently have the 2.5 4 cylinder in it and want to swap up to the 2.8 V6 cylinder (unfortunately my year doesnt have the 4.0 option, i have a 1985). I was wondering will I need to change my bellhousing or will it be the same for the 6 cylinder? I have the AX5 5-speed manual transmission.

Please let me know and thanks in advance for the help.
It would probably be cheaper to rebuild the 2.5. Thats what me and my dad did but we put a few extra goodies into it. (I have the same model year, just with the AX-4)

If you don't want to rebuild it yourself then, yes.. its prolly best to scrap it and buy a newer Jeep.


btw- what crapped out on it?
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
distncernr
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
It would probably be cheaper to rebuild the 2.5. Thats what me and my dad did but we put a few extra goodies into it. (I have the same model year, just with the AX-4)

If you don't want to rebuild it yourself then, yes.. its prolly best to scrap it and buy a newer Jeep.


btw- what crapped out on it?
either the head gasket or the head... i did a pressure test and all my cylinder read 175 and one of them read like 125
distncernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Flyordie
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by distncernr View Post
either the head gasket or the head... i did a pressure test and all my cylinder read 175 and one of them read like 125
Yea, thats pretty low. Leakdown test maybe? Squirt a little oil in the "dead" cylinder and if it gets a better PSI reading, then its the rings. If it doesn't change, its the valves/head.

I am sitting at 200-210 PSI across all 4 of my cylinders. :-\
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
distncernr
Registered User
1985 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Yea, thats pretty low. Leakdown test maybe? Squirt a little oil in the "dead" cylinder and if it gets a better PSI reading, then its the rings. If it doesn't change, its the valves/head.

I am sitting at 200-210 PSI across all 4 of my cylinders. :-\
yea i think im just going to go get the valves and head redone and replace all gaskets and go from there
distncernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.