Engine swap 2001 xj - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Oldyellar1
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Engine swap 2001 xj

What is the easiest 4.0 to 4.0 swap for 01 with a cracked head and wiped cam bearings? I want to get away from the 03310331 head, considering swaping for a98 model. Iunderstand in doing this there mods needed to the exhaust and coil mounting.Is there an easier route?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM
jeepnewbie2000
2000 WJ 

did you ever figure this out? going though same thing with no response to post. i have a 2001 4.0 swapping for a 99 guy has a head off a 98 so im worried. idk where to look for stamps to identify the engine/head either.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM
75SV1

basically, any 96-01 XJ block is a 'direct' swap. The latter '02-up 4.0 heads are suppose to be better. Look for 'TUPY'. As stated in the OP post, the earlier heads, 91-95 and 96-99 would need brackets fabbed for the coil pack.

96-up blocks have dowel locator pins for the head. There are other improvements. Nothing that prevents you from swapping in and earlier block, even a RENIX.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 11:13 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or ZJ Brand Cherokee engine block will interchange.

The block casting numbers are on the drivers side of the block, and the head casting numbers are in the center of the head on the drivers side.

The easiest swap is to remove and re-use, or replace with new, all the 2001 specific parts. Find a 2002 or newer 0331 TUPY head from a WJ Grand Cherokee.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 01:20 PM
jeepnewbie2000
2000 WJ 

thanks tim, i see today that my info is wrong. i have a 2000 jgc so its a wj. the motor im looking at is outta a 98 jeep ??? i know the mounts are different but saw online that there are modified mounts available to fix this. if i use a 02 or newer head that fixes the coil mounting holes on the head since the 98 uses a distributor orf make a modified coil mounting bracket of some sort. also i hear if i use my mounting brackets for the front of the motor, i may have to tap the holes but they are there im told/read online, then it will work. is this bs? i can pick up this motor with new top end gaskets for 200 bucks. just need a head. thanks for helping. money is very tight, sons 1st vehicle so i want it right. is this possible ?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The swap you are proposing is a significant amount of extra work. Rather than spend all the extra time and extra money, I suggest you find an engine or head that fits properly. WJ's are common as dirt in the junkyards, it shouldn't be hard at all to find a running engine or cylinder head that will bolt in for a reasonable price.

TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Engine block castings underwent major design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee, and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These "S" VIN code engine blocks from a 1999-04 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000-06 TJ Wrangler are not bolt on interchangeable with any XJ Cherokee or any ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block (nor with any 1997-99 TJ engine block).

The reason why these blocks do not interchange is that the casting design changes relocated numerous bolt holes, altered the physical location of all the fan belt driven accessories, and in some areas eliminated the metal that could be drilled and tapped for the earlier configuration of motor mount bolt holes and fan belt driven accessory mounting bracket bolt holes.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.