Engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine swap

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Engine swap

Good morning folks, I hope this is the right place for these questions.

I have a beat up rotten body 4.0 94 Cherokee Sport, the fuel tank leaks, the electrics are all messed up, it won't run but the auto trans. and the rest of the drive train worked perfect when it did run. I want to use it for a yard mule and maybe put a small plow on it to plow my own yard. I do not want to spend any amount of money on it. I have an 86 CJ with a 5 speed trans. that is beyond being used for anything but parts.

My questions are: Will the carbed 258 from the 86 CJ bolt up to the Cherokee transmission? I think it should.

Oil pan need to be changed?

Will the flexplate from the 94 bolt to the 86 crank?

Which starter will I have to use?

If I knew these things for sure I think I would do the swap, the fuel, exhaust and charging systems I can make work.

Thanks in advance for any answers and info.

sidehillbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Bump for the night crew.
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
15tcherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about that, but a cheap 4.0 junk yard motor will mount up and is a really easy swap. I did one last winter on my '00.
15tcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Yes, I could do that but I am not going to spend any money on this rig, just get it done with what I have or junk it out.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.