Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Swap

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
hardy

Engine Swap

Looking for a little advice.

I am replacing the 4.0 engine in my 98 Cherokee with a rebuilt older engine from a 94 or 95 Cherokee. Of course the head and block casting numbers are different but everything looks like it will interchange. I do plan to use the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold from the 98 because there are a few differences.

If the flexplate the same or should I use the 98?

Are there other problems I might encounter???

Would I benefit from using the head from my 98 on the older engine.

hardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
Would I benefit from using the head from my 98 on the older engine.
Not eonough to go to the trouble of changing the head.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
hardy

The distributor and coil look the same and I had not planned to exchange them. Will this be a problem?
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Compare what you have to what the donor engine has. You may have to swap over some parts.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
hardy

Thanks!!!
I am in the process of removing the old engine and everything is good until I got to those top bell housing bolts. I got the driver side out but can't get the socket on the pass side. I'm not sure what to do. I removed the motor mount bolt to lower the engine but still can't get on the stupid bolt. BTW...the one I got out seemed it was torqued about 100 lbs
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most people lower the rear of the engine by removing the transmission crossmember. Support the rear of the engine with a floor jack or transmission jack.

Unread 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
hardy

That was my next option. I guess I will need to put the motor mount bolts back in and remove the crossmember.....seems like lots of trouble to remove a bolt????
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
dino30
1999 WJ 

Any 4.o will interchange .. there are some slight differences in the acc. mounting brackets when you get up to 99+ but i have an older 95 engine in my 99 Grand ... I used my intake , exhaust and my Distributor-less ignition system . I just used the main engine block , head , and covers from the older engine .. all my stuff bolted right up to it .. ...

As for the bolt . you need to remove the trans cross-member and lower the rear of the engine to get to it ...

Good luck ...
dino30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.