engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
corkit08
1996 XJ Cherokee 

engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies

hi im new on here i just bought a 96 cherokee se 2.5l 5spd and i got it for cheap with engine problems i replaced the ditributer (not cap since still in good condition) ignition coil, spark plugs, fuel injectors and cps but nothing has changed.

to go into more detail i bought it not running at all started looking for spark and saw the plugs were bad (replaced them) and it was an orange color so i looked at the ditributer and the part that goes into the engine had shredded teeth on one side so then i got a new one but kept the same cap, looked at the spark and it was still a orangish color so i replaced the ignition coil and now i have blue/white spark all over,

it still wouldnt run but would turn over so i looked at the stock fuel filter and saw rusty looking color gas coming from it and regular color gas going into it so i bought a new one and flushed the lines (fuel pressure went back up) i decided to check the injectors to see if the were clogged and they were so i went out and got new ones and cleaned the rail no rust color inside of it.

checked the presure of the cylinders and they were fine did a bunch of trouble shooting and thought it could be the CPS so i went out and got a new one but now im stuck at where i am now it will start rough idle for seconds and die and if you touch the throttle it dies faster and the only engine code i have is for my AC because i had to disconnect it to do the distributer.

all the spark plugs and inector wires are hooked up right and the engine was at absolute 0 when i put in the distrubiter and it was put in right idk what else that it can be please help

corkit08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine died , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.