engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
corkit08
1996 XJ Cherokee 

engine starts rough idles for a few seonds and dies

hi im new on here i just bought a 96 cherokee se 2.5l 5spd and i got it for cheap with engine problems i replaced the ditributer (not cap since still in good condition) ignition coil, spark plugs, fuel injectors and cps but nothing has changed.

to go into more detail i bought it not running at all started looking for spark and saw the plugs were bad (replaced them) and it was an orange color so i looked at the ditributer and the part that goes into the engine had shredded teeth on one side so then i got a new one but kept the same cap, looked at the spark and it was still a orangish color so i replaced the ignition coil and now i have blue/white spark all over,

it still wouldnt run but would turn over so i looked at the stock fuel filter and saw rusty looking color gas coming from it and regular color gas going into it so i bought a new one and flushed the lines (fuel pressure went back up) i decided to check the injectors to see if the were clogged and they were so i went out and got new ones and cleaned the rail no rust color inside of it.

checked the presure of the cylinders and they were fine did a bunch of trouble shooting and thought it could be the CPS so i went out and got a new one but now im stuck at where i am now it will start rough idle for seconds and die and if you touch the throttle it dies faster and the only engine code i have is for my AC because i had to disconnect it to do the distributer.

all the spark plugs and inector wires are hooked up right and the engine was at absolute 0 when i put in the distrubiter and it was put in right idk what else that it can be please help

corkit08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine died , rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.