Engine splash shield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine splash shield

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Engine splash shield

Where is the best place to get the factory rubber engine splash shield for a 98, mine was beyond repair. Is the dealer the only one who sales it and how much did you pay?

tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
jaredakleiman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

keep it off, you don't need it....
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CHEROKEE

not too terrible a price
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredakleiman
Are you sure?

It should help a lot with not getting gunk up in your engine bay.

Mine is trashed, if it really doesn't matter, I'll take it off, like now. haha.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i like mine up there...it takes a little longer when u wanna work on the engine bay from underneath, but it has spared my alternator in a few cases.

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine has been off for more than a year with no problems. I would like to get another one to put on, but I would check at the junk yard before ordering one online. It will probably only cost you a few dollars there.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say for $27 you could buy 2 used factory skids, possibly 3. Then you'd have a splash guard and some rock protection

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

that true, but the odds of finding one thats not ripped or worn is slim...at least in the ones ive seen.

in fact, most of them ive seen arent even there anymore

Unread 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is destroyed, the holes for the pins are all ripped, it has a huge tear where the tie rod cotter pin is.

Where can I get a metal splash shield online?

There are NO local junkyards.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

search things like craigslist for your area, thats where I found both of my engine skids, both for $10 each

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
brown1177
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 Cherokee 3 inch lift 3 inch spacers

I got my truck about a year ago and it didn't have it on there everytime I go in water over half a foot my new belt starts yellin and my batt gauge shorts out. if your taking it off send it my way so I can drive in this hurricane this weekend lol
brown1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
XJH-007

It keeps the engine bay much cleaner, and keeps those pesky water splashes off your alternator. Replace it....especially if you are a "yeeehaw feller mud trucker"

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredakleiman View Post
I think it's a matter of personal taste. On my '91 YJ one fell off after a trip to the beach and another was inadvertently ripped off by a mechanic.

Today, really an hour ago, I was doing some light wheeling through some muddy trails and went through a puddle. The engine stalled and when it finally fired up it was sputtering like a VW Bug with asthma.

A similar thing happened back on July 4th, 2011 but that time there was no sputtering; just stalled.

I'm fairly certain that if I had both of the shields in place the amount of water splashing up into the compartment wouldn't have been so great and it probably wouldn't have stalled.

If I find someplace to buy it I'll post a link for future inquiries since this thread is top listed through google and yahoo.
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Found a place on line but cant remember which site. It was from a google search. Paid around $25 for it .
coltar15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I called the dealer just now. The part has been discontinued. But here's the part number: 55010838.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.