Engine shuts off while driving! Jeep 97 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine shuts off while driving! Jeep 97 4.0L

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
maple_toast

Engine shuts off while driving! Jeep 97 4.0L

Hello all! I'm in a tricky situation with my JEEP and I don't know what to do.

Basically, I had removed my engine fan about a year ago. The fan mounting was busted and the fan blades were scraping against the belt. So I took it out. Drove all through summer without it. No overheating. No problems.

Just recently, I was noticing that my JEEP would idle really rough. This occurred for about two weeks. Then, lo and behold, I'm idling in a drive thru (I was hungry!) when suddenly, white smoke/steam begins to billow out of the front, and coolant begins to pool below.

I get out of line, and drive down the street (two blocks) to a local shop. On the way into the driveway, the engine shuts off. I crank the crap out of it and floor the accelerator, and after about a minute the engine turns over enough for me to drive it and park it.

The next morning the mechanic tells me he needs 800 to fix a leak in the radiator, and fix the water pump. I knew the water pump was leaking before. Oh, and he also wants $250 for a new engine fan - which I can buy online for about $55.

He also admits that he can't tell if a head gasket is blown until he does the first set of repairs. Hmm...

I let the car sit about a week. Then one night I walk down to the shop to drive it home (about 2 miles). It starts up right away. Super good to me. I ride it pretty hard, I did notice the temperature gauge stayed at 0 the entire time. Then as I'm turning onto my street, it dies again.

Same thing. I crank the hell out of it, floor the accelerator, and after about a minute it starts up again.

I just started the car again to see what is happening. No big leaks of coolant. I didn't drive it anywhere, but it started fine and everything seemed okay. The only thing was the the temperature gauge stayed at 0 again.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to sell the car eventually. I need to get a smog check first. I contacted some junk sellers and they gave junk prices and alerted my junk-dead-beat senses. So I want to sell it cheap to another owner.

JEEP 97 Cherokee SE 4.0L 175K miles

Thanks for your help!

maple_toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did the engine seem like it stalled because of an electrical issue, or do you think it stalled because it overheated and seized up ? If the engine seized, it is probably damaged internally and needs to be replaced. The mechanic is a thief and you should never deal with him again.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
maple_toast

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I'm not really sure. However, it doesn't make sense to me that an engine would overheat while 1) coolant levels are full, and 2) the car was moving about 40mph, so the missing engine fan isn't relevant there. Am I on the right path with my thinking? Or no?

If it is electronic, what could it be?

Thanks!
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_toast View Post
.... I'm idling in a drive thru (I was hungry!) when suddenly, white smoke/steam begins to billow out of the front, and coolant begins to pool below.

I get out of line, and drive down the street (two blocks) to a local shop. On the way into the driveway, the engine shuts off.....
To me, that is related to/caused by overheating. The faster you drive the more heat is generated within the engine.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
maple_toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You said...

To me, that is related to/caused by overheating. The faster you drive the more heat is generated within the engine.
Yes. I agree. But the engine cut out on two separate occasions when I was driving it. Shouldn't there be enough wind/air flow to cool the engine while it's gong 40mph?
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Yes. I agree. But the engine cut out on two separate occasions when I was driving it. Shouldn't there be enough wind/air flow to cool the engine while it's gong 40mph?
No not much air gets in there the condenser and rad block the grill and hot air rises. So it's all chilling up under your good with no air movement
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
...... the engine cut out on two separate occasions when I was driving it. Shouldn't there be enough wind/air flow to cool the engine while it's gong 40mph?
That not how the cooling system works.

You need to find and honest and competent mechanic. Explain to him what happened. If he agrees to look at your Jeep, have it towed to his shop for a proper diagnostic inspection. Seizing the engine due to overheating can cause internal damage. The head will need to be removed and inspected at the bare minimum.

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

If I may ask what was the temp gauge up to?
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
maple_toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
If I may ask what was the temp gauge up to?

The temperature gauge never moved at all. When I was overheating in the drive-thru line, the temp gauge was normal (in the middle). When the car engine stopped, both times the gauge was at 0 - far left. When I started the car yesterday, the temp gauge stayed to the far left as well. It appears as though it's unresponsive.
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

The temperature gauge never moved at all. When I was overheating in the drive-thru line, the temp gauge was normal (in the middle). When the car engine stopped, both times the gauge was at 0 - far left. When I started the car yesterday, the temp gauge stayed to the far left as well. It appears as though it's unresponsive.
We'll it won't heat up right away.
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
maple_toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
We'll it won't heat up right away.
It would if it were over-heating, wouldn't it?
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
XJaySC
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

It would if it were over-heating, wouldn't it?
No it wouldn't.
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
XJaySC
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The mechanic is a thief and you should never deal with him again.
What, may I ask, led you to this conclusion?
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJaySC View Post
What, may I ask, led you to this conclusion?

$800 for a radiator and water pump and $250 for a new fan is thievery. $1100 minus $180 in parts and about 4 hours of labor = $230 per hour for labor.

New radiator $80
New water pump $50
new e-fan $50

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

$800 for a radiator and water pump and $250 for a new fan is thievery. $1100 minus $180 in parts and about 4 hours of labor = $230 per hour for labor.

New radiator $80
New water pump $50
new e-fan $50
They might but from dealer. But still

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.