Engine Replacement Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Replacement Question

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Replacement Question

Thanks for all your help in advance guys...

Background- I bought a 2000 XJ that head the head problem along with bad engine pressure as it turned out. This site was invaluable in understanding and diagnosing that problem. Now the dealer who sold it to me is replacing the engine with a used engine from a 2001 which the mechanic described as "very clean." He also assured me that he will fully test the engine upon replacement. I asked him to check the head and engine pressure.

Is there anything else I should be asking/testing? When I receive it I'm going to pressure test the engine, pull up the valve cover to look at the head, and get a mechanics gauge to test the oil pressure. I also requested for a copy of the invoice so I know the miles on the replacement engine (they haven't done that yet despite a ton of requests). The replacement will come with a 30-day 1km warranty.

Is there anything else I should do/check when I get the truck? Thanks again for any help fellas.

JBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go look at the donor. Look for leaks...coolant and oil. make sure they are swapping gngines like they say , or just replacing parts. Can you hear the donor run?
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
I'd go look at the donor. Look for leaks...coolant and oil. make sure they are swapping gngines like they say , or just replacing parts. Can you hear the donor run?
I don't have access. They are replacing the motor and complained they had to pay over $1k to buy it. The mechanic, who seems OK, says its very clean and they just pulled it out of a 2001 what was hit in the back. I'll have the warranty but I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should ask/demand from them or what to look at after aside from pressure test/oil pressure with a mechanics gauge/looking at the head .
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

For $1000 it better not have an 0331 head. Make sure your not buying another problem. Good luck.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I need a bit of advice....

OK, so after all these problem I've had, I noticed the replacement engine put in by the used car dealership (I put about 2k on it) has been losing coolant. I thought perhaps I'm losing coolant from elsewhere but I got my oil tested at Blackstone and it came back with coolant in the oil. I know they replaced my engine with a 2001 XJ engine with 87k miles on it, so I'm assuming 0331 all over aain. Now the oil pressure is still fine so will a head swap fix the problem? Is there any additional tests I can perform to ensure that the engine is sound before replacing the head or is the oil pressure good enough? Also, until I rip it open, how do I ensure it's the head/head gasket is causing coolant in the oil? Could it be anything else? After all the research on here over the last few months, it really points to 0331 head + coolant in oil = cracked head. And oil pressure = good, engine only needs replacement head. Thoughts?
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Jeremy_Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm surprised with a warranty they didn't give you a crate motor - that seems, in my opinion, what a warranty should provide. Not a JY random engine.

I'd say that's what you're seeing though. The blocks on the later Jeeps (from what I know) are not known to crack but those 0331 heads definitely are. I'd guess you've got a cracked head and it's transferring coolant now. I'm in the same boat with my 2001 so consider it a good opportunity to get to know the engine of your XJ

Build Thread:
2001 Cherokee Build Thread (The Work Horse)
Jeremy_Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_Cherokee
I'm surprised with a warranty they didn't give you a crate motor - that seems, in my opinion, what a warranty should provide. Not a JY random engine. I'd say that's what you're seeing though. The blocks on the later Jeeps (from what I know) are not known to crack but those 0331 heads definitely are. I'd guess you've got a cracked head and it's transferring coolant now. I'm in the same boat with my 2001 so consider it a good opportunity to get to know the engine of your XJ
Ha, I'm so pissed about this. There's literally one day left on the warranty at least. They are going to talk to my mechanic and have him run some tests and then decide if they need to replace the engine or not. I told the sales guy who's doing the warranty that I have an oil analysis so the head is busted. I don't know what to do until I hear back from the warranty. My mechanic told me he has a 02 wrangler in there now that he can pull the head up and get it cleaned up for me. I believe that compatible but I'll have to check on this site.
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Jeremy_Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure the heads 00+ are all compatible (really, all 4.0L heads are compatible, technically). Good luck. I still don't understand why they wouldn't replace it with a crate engine though - that seems like what a warranty would do.

Build Thread:
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_Cherokee
I'm pretty sure the heads 00+ are all compatible (really, all 4.0L heads are compatible, technically). Good luck. I still don't understand why they wouldn't replace it with a crate engine though - that seems like what a warranty would do.
Thanks, I asked him what kind of testing they do and he said "some." When I prodded him further he just mentioned "that's why we have a warranty." This engine is also leaking from the front and real seals along with the oil pan gasket so honestly if prefer they replace it if they can.
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Jeremy_Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wow - that's crazy. Even some of the shady dealerships here I think would take better care of you than that. Hopefully engine #3 is a good one!!

Build Thread:
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_Cherokee View Post
A used car dealer will RARELY spring for a "crate engine" on a 13 year old vehicle, no matter what sort of warranty it had upon sale. We are not talking about a 2 year old car with 25K miiles on it, after all.

That said, putting in a used engine with known possible head issues was ignorant and risky on the part of the dealer when he honored the warranty. It looks like the OP has found it has a bad head, probably before it has trashed the bottom end.

If I was the OP, I would press the dealer to cover the cost of installing a PROVEN good used head or a reman head produced AFTER the "TUPY" casting came into production.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
A used car dealer will RARELY spring for a "crate engine" on a 13 year old vehicle, no matter what sort of warranty it had upon sale. We are not talking about a 2 year old car with 25K miiles on it, after all.

That said, putting in a used engine with known possible head issues was ignorant and risky on the part of the dealer when he honored the warranty. It looks like the OP has found it has a bad head, probably before it has trashed the bottom end.

If I was the OP, I would press the dealer to cover the cost of installing a PROVEN good used head or a reman head produced AFTER the "TUPY" casting came into production.
Thanks AZ Jeff, thats exactly what i'm going to do. I want either a new engine or if my mechanic thinks it is early enough (my oil pressure is ok) then a head replaced in there. He has am 02 wrangler there and he said he can pull the head from that.
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just a quick update, for a few hundred bucks extra they are going to put in an ATK reman. My mechanic would much prefer a Jasper but I told him this engine is subsidized so I'm going with the ATK. I'm going to meet with him tonight to talk everything over. Any advice for the engine swap? I was thinking of buying a new water pump, fan shroud, and radiator for preventative maintenance since those parts are all original. Any other advice?
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bump, I'm looking to see if there is anything else worth replacing during an engine swap (getting an ATK reman). Jeep has 113k on it. The PS pump is super whiny in the winter so replacing that, replacing water pump, thermostat, harmonic balancer, and radiator. Also, having the mechanic do my fuel injector upgrade swap and put in new ngk o2 sensors. I have new mopar crank/cam sensors already in. The starter/battery is pretty much new. The alternator is original but works fine. My heat isn't hot and I tried flushing the heater core multiple times but no dice. I'm guessing I can't have that changed with the engine (since its behind the firewall). Is it worth doing a preventative changing of the TPS or MAP sensors? Or any other ideas?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.