Engine Removal from a 2000 Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Removal from a 2000 Cherokee Sport

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Alwayshopeful
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Removal from a 2000 Cherokee Sport

PLEASE HELP!
Pulling/Removing 2000 Cherokee XJ Engine for Swap/Replace/Trade

My XJ Sport has a donor engine from another 2000 Cherokee XJ but we are having a terrible time removing the dead/original engine.

Please we are running into issues involving the loosening of nuts/bolts that are holding the engine to the vehicle inside wall. Specifically the nut within the yellow ellipse.

Please is there a special tool to and/or method to remove just the engine so that a donor engine can be dropped in and attached to the transmission?

Thank you so much for your helpful insight.

img_0222_2.jpg  
Alwayshopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is hard to tell from the picture, but that looks like a bolt on the firewall. To remove the engine you have to unbolt it from the motor mounts, and separate it from the transmission. There are two E12 torx bolts on the top that are often a pain to get at, but those are on the transmission bellhousing, not the firewall.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's the bolt for the ground strap, right?
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What was wrong that you are changing the engine??? Could you just have a cracked head like most other 00-01 XJ's? That is for a ground strap.
79chiefs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't want to discourage you but if you're having trouble undoing that bolt for the ground strap, you may not be up to this project.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I don't want to discourage you but if you're having trouble undoing that bolt for the ground strap, you may not be up to this project.
Well stated Kevin, and very true.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Alwayshopeful
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you jeepkid03.
Alwayshopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that bolt seems pretty easy to get too, you wouldnt need to remove it anyways, just remove the ground strap on motor.

heres a really good tip, youll need to unbolt the transmission from the motor. remove the 2 bolts that are on top (the really hard to get to ones) FIRST otherwise you'll have a ton of tension on them and they will be much harder to loosen.

another tip. once you have the engine hoist attached to the engine, unbolt the motor mounts and let the engine drop down a few inches, makes accessing those bolts much easier, unless you want to connect 3-4ft of extensions togethr and get it from below

Removing the front end makes getting the engine out easier and really doesnt add that much more time.

1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayshopeful View Post
PLEASE HELP!
Pulling/Removing 2000 Cherokee XJ Engine for Swap/Replace/Trade

My XJ Sport has a donor engine from another 2000 Cherokee XJ but we are having a terrible time removing the dead/original engine.

Please we are running into issues involving the loosening of nuts/bolts that are holding the engine to the vehicle inside wall. Specifically the nut within the yellow ellipse.

Please is there a special tool to and/or method to remove just the engine so that a donor engine can be dropped in and attached to the transmission?

Thank you so much for your helpful insight.
That nut you've circled is one of five that hold the HVAC Unit (under the dash) to the firewall.

Sometimes it's easier to remove the head to get at the top two transmission to engine block Torx head bolts. Otherwise you will need a E12 Torx socket and long extension(s) to come up from the bottom of the vehicle to reach the bolts, having a helper guide the socket on to the bolt heads.

This thread, among others on this forum, discusses the top bolts:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bell...-bolts-175825/
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayshopeful View Post
Thank you jeepkid03.
No problem. Let me know if you have any questions.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Maltesian

When I saw that picture with the wooden posts and chain pulling out the engine all outside, I smiled. A real jeeper, rock on like a true back yard mechanic. Hope it all works out for ya and have all that hard work pay off.
Maltesian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesian View Post
When I saw that picture with the wooden posts and chain pulling out the engine all outside, I smiled. A real jeeper, rock on like a true back yard mechanic. Hope it all works out for ya and have all that hard work pay off.
Thats the only way to do it. You appreciate the jeep more cause you're in it hopefully with ac and not in the rain trying to get it done so you have your DD back before work monday morning.
79chiefs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Maltesian

Gotta do what u gotta do
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

*******[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesian View Post
Thanks 2.5ton chain hoist and home built frame worked great, comes apart pretty quickly as well. you dont need alot of fancy tools to work on a vehicle, just need ingenuity and hand tools for the most part.

i have access to a shop but at the time this was a cherokee i picked up with a blown motor as a project and worked on it at the house after my usual job. pulled motors out of both jeeps, rebuilt the donor motor, swapped over the coil pack system ( using older block) and painted it all up before sliding it into the 01 cherokee.

theres been countless times ive fixed vehicles in parking lots or in the rain, in the snow etc. its a very good skill to know, tow's and repair bills at shops get expensive

this is my lovely work area during winter repairs. A nice hot fire right behind me
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Maltesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanTJ View Post
*******[/PHP]

Thanks 2.5ton chain hoist and home built frame worked great, comes apart pretty quickly as well. you dont need alot of fancy tools to work on a vehicle, just need ingenuity and hand tools for the most part.

i have access to a shop but at the time this was a cherokee i picked up with a blown motor as a project and worked on it at the house after my usual job. pulled motors out of both jeeps, rebuilt the donor motor, swapped over the coil pack system ( using older block) and painted it all up before sliding it into the 01 cherokee.

theres been countless times ive fixed vehicles in parking lots or in the rain, in the snow etc. its a very good skill to know, tow's and repair bills at shops get expensive

this is my lovely work area during winter repairs. A nice hot fire right behind me

Nice, I prize anyone's ability to pull of something using nothing but basic tools and there mind. Yes. It does help to have the proper tools for the task at hand, but there's always usually an alternative. Might require more work, but it will do the job.

I really like the idea of someone working on things themselves and not relying on other people especially when it comes to something we depend on alot, which Is why I bought a jeep. Again, lol.

I actually made it a goal of mind to just learn as much as I can about maintaining a jeep Cherokee, I want to avoid,bills, asking for rides everyday to work, having to call and see whats going on, and worst of all going back time and time because its not fixed....that sucks *** my-friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.