Engine races - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine races

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
ski-trux

Engine races

Hi guys, I'm a 1st timer here and I have a little problem that I hope you can help me with. Sometimes while I'm driving, at any speed, the engine will start to race at about 2000rpm. If I try to kick it down with the accelorator, it just races faster. I have to throw it into neutral to stop the vehicle and then of course it just races faster, about 3000 rpm. I have to turn off the ignition and restart to get back to normal idle speed. Any clues?
It's an 88 Cherokee with a 242c.i.d. straight six and multi-point fuel injection.

Unread 08-18-2002, 11:31 AM   #2
arpy

Sounds like a problem with the throttle position sensor (TPS), check for moisture, corrosion or damage to the connector/wiring, or you might need a new TPS.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.